The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Costume based on The Wild Bunch?

PapaGrande

Only thing you will find out if you wear a hat without a full brim is that hot brass from your rifle will wreck your concentration when it goes down the inside your collar in the back.  I practice in a ball hat most of the time and a loose collar can be painful.  .45 brass gets very hot. A full brim hat is a real good idea.  Same for Indian type headbands or no headgear. Hot brass between your glasses and face as well.  If you can't stand cowboy action shooters and won't wear a cowboy hat think of it as a farmers hat.  Most combat shooters that shoot with us don't have a problem.  It is just a different game. Adapt.

Only thing you will find out if you wear a hat without a full brim is that hot brass from your rifle will wreck your concentration when it goes down the inside your collar in the back.  I practice in a ball hat most of the time and a loose collar can be painful.  .45 brass gets very hot. A full brim hat is a real good idea.  Same for Indian type headbands or no headgear. Hot brass between your glasses and face as well.  If you can't stand cowboy action shooters and won't wear a cowboy hat think of it as a farmers hat.  Most combat shooters that shoot with us don't have a problem.  It is just a different game. Adapt.

+1

Just button-up yer collar before a run...

99% of 3Gun, USPSA and IDPA shooters wear caps and they sling a lot of brass.  Training places like Gunsite suggest a ball cap and a buttoned-up collar.

My first military costume was Hollywood military with strips on the shirt and such as you saw in the john ford/john Wayne trilogy .. It wasn't until I did some research that I found out the real look and had to take the strips off and everyone asked me if I got busted, and I had to explain.  While sass isn't historically accurate it is fun to try to dress correctly and such.  My guns now are USFAs SAAs but originally I shot Rugers and still do from time to time but I like my USFAs a lot. But ROAs are the only C&Bs I'll shoot the rest are way too much trouble to setup and you'll still have troubles and my ROAs are like shooting cartridge guns once loaded and all I did was swap out five of the six nipples with tresso ones on each gun.

The hat under discussion will likely be just fine.  Keep the shirt collar buttoned and make sure the hat covers the gap between the glasses and face so brass won't fall between them and your face.  The brass from a 1873 rifle does not eject like most semi autos.  It goes straight up. and usually straight down.  A good cowboy hat is still very hard to beat as it solves the brass problem front and back plus it protects the glasses from rain and provides shade for the eyes.  Usually a short brim hat works best as it is less in the way.  Some dress for looks and others to be able to shoot efficiently.  The best cowboy and Wild Bunch shooters usually wear gear that lets them shoot well and satisfies the rules and not much more.  There are others that really like to get into the history of the deal. Combat shooters are the same. Some want to look the  "look" and the top shooters just want to shoot well so use what works best.

Gene is correct about a 73 ejection of brass.  I use to wear a Kepi while shooting bp rounds after receiving several blisters on the back of my neck and lower I learned to attach my wild rag so that it covered everything and still get spurned every now and then I finally switched to a cowboy hat and it catches brass on every stage.

Gene is correct about a 73 ejection of brass.  I use to wear a Kepi while shooting bp rounds after receiving several blisters on the back of my neck and lower I learned to attach my wild rag so that it covered everything and still get spurned every now and then I finally switched to a cowboy hat and it catches brass on every stage.

Even on my military hat, you'll see where all the brass lands....  Amazingly...it all seems to drop in the same spot

Training places like Gunsite suggest a ball cap and a buttoned-up collar.

Gunsite?  With the founder looking like this for years and years?

http://www.frfrogspad.com/hat.jpg

8)

But, then again, there's this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNPohYnDbcqXHlCRz95xHgvudmh3vpkJIeOCIWPutD30neh37J

Good luck, GJ

I guess the current Gunsiters don't want to look like dorks?

• 2 weeks later...