The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Costume based on The Wild Bunch?

PapaGrande

I'm curious about where the rules are codified for The Wild Bunch matches in terms of costumes?  I understand what's specifically prohibited and what's suggested.  What I don't see are discussions about clothing that was definitely in the movie (ex. paperboy caps) yet no one seems to talk about them.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks.

I just wear my usual CAS clothes. So did Pike, Dutch, Lyle, Tector, and Angel after they got out of them monkey suits.

If you want to go with the doughboy look anything and everything from Indian Wars to SpanAm to WWI are welcome.

No one is going to look down on anyone else's garb in this game. We are a welcoming bunch so just wear whatcha want.

I concur with Gene on this subject. But, considering what I usually wear.... LOL

Anyway. I love seeing the folks in their uniforms, especially the Russian lady at WinterRange a couple years back.....

It is a shooting venue. Yes we must dress up to "some" degree and not be a t-shirt, track shoes, ball cap image. As far as I am concered, do what satisfies something of era wear, and go shoot!

Just sayin.

I was thinking that I would like to wear a newsboy cap, simple long-sleeved work shirt, dungarees and lace-up boots. 

I definitely would not do the ball cap/t-shirt/running shorts/sneakers look, but I also don't want to wear a heavy-duty costume either.

A "newsboy cap" is certainly period correct for Wild Bunch. Not so for CAS. Robber Baron wears one all the time. As for the laceup boots, most are legal, but so called "combat boots" aren't. Period military style boots without grip-enhancing soles are legal IF they are part of a matching costume.

It sounds s if the costume you are planning is legal.

Pink tux shirts, pink and purple boas.... Hey, period correct. Maybe in a New Orleans Brothel.... But we didn't say "where" it is period correct. Just sayin.

Everything I mentioned was in the actual movie...

Flat caps from which the newsboy cap derives may be traced back to the 14th century in Northern England.  I've seen  Daguerreotypes of the Old West dating to the latter 19th Century and some of the men and boys are wearing this type of cap. They may not follow the CAS rules but they are authentic to the place and time.

I was thinking about wearing a pink Henley shirt with a newsboy cap and lace-up boots along with a period correct set of Packard fisher-stripe coveralls but I cannot ascertain for certain what brand of convertible was owned by the Mexican general?

A "newsboy cap" is certainly period correct for Wild Bunch. Not so for CAS. Robber Baron wears one all the time. As for the laceup boots, most are legal, but so called "combat boots" aren't. Period military style boots without grip-enhancing soles are legal IF they are part of a matching costume.

It sounds s if the costume you are planning is legal.

Just curious but why would period military style boots not be equally legal if worn with the regular CAS costume?

Yes I know what SASS says about MODERN combat boots in CAS.

I would not think the old brown lace up combat boots from byegone eras would fall in that characterization.

So my observation stands -- old brown lace up boots should be fine with any WB costume, doughboy or cowboy.

I do not understand the fallacy of my thinking here.

Yes I know what SASS says about MODERN combat boots in CAS.

I would not think the old brown lace up combat boots from byegone eras would fall in that characterization.

So my observation stands -- old brown lace up boots should be fine with any WB costume, doughboy or cowboy.

I do not understand the fallacy of my thinking here.

I'm not certain but I don't know that the "modern" adjective is expressly part of the SASS language pertaining to this matter.  I'd like to wear a pair of old cordovan Corcoran boots I have.  They don't have rubber soles or heels that would offer any sort of tactical advantage but they also didn't yet existing during the time depicted in The Wild Bunch.

Pg, Corcoran jump boots are perfectly legal and are in the spirit of WB. I wear these and know of several other competitors that wear them. They have the correct sole and the correct look and are very comfortable. With leggings they look a lot like the original marching shoe pre ww1. In a civilian costume with the britches leg over them they look like just a early 1900's lace up boot. I put leather laces in mine and that made them look even better and they don't untie accidentally.  Dusty Boddams

;D ;D PG, one more thing about costuming ...........wild bunch is first and foremost a shooting competition...... the costume you are thinking of would be great. As far as worrying about everything being absolutely correct....in a word...DON'T. A friend of mine who has some great costuming summed it up best he calls it movie correct.

Pg, Corcoran jump boots are perfectly legal and are in the spirit of WB. I wear these and know of several other competitors that wear them. They have the correct sole and the correct look and are very comfortable. With leggings they look a lot like the original marching shoe pre ww1. In a civilian costume with the britches leg over them they look like just a early 1900's lace up boot. I put leather laces in mine and that made them look even better and they don't untie accidentally.  Dusty Boddams

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  The Corcoran's make a lot of sense in that shoes/boots like them were made back in the "Wild Bunch" days but they also stand out to some as being WWII boots...

I've shot three gun matches for a number of years with some success.  When I trade my Glock pistol/Benelli shotgun/Colt rifle for a Ruger pistol/Winchester shotgun/Pedersoli rifle, I would like to try to be outfitted in a manner that will let me shoot pretty much in the same manner I do for three gun.

I think I'm just going to wear a newsboy cap, a Henley shirt with rolled-up sleeves, Levis 501's and the Corcorans and be done with it.  Thanks again.

Don't worry Papa Grande, it is hard to take a guys wearing pink shirts with ruffles seriously.

I was in a rural church recently.  They had a bunch of photos on the wall from the turn of the last century.  And I marveled at the number of ranch folks wearing the newsboy caps.  Now that I know they are legal I think I will get me one.

JFN

Hope ya have thick skin if ya wear that hat around anywhere Team Brothel Boys is shootin....LOL

We have kind of a former guy that we truly gave a hard time to. Just warnin ya.... Just sayin...

It won't be you, so please try to understand. Just sayin. LOL

Thanks

Bodie

What?

Don't worry Papa Grande, it is hard to take a guys wearing pink shirts with ruffles seriously.

I was in a rural church recently.  They had a bunch of photos on the wall from the turn of the last century.  And I marveled at the number of ranch folks wearing the newsboy caps.  Now that I know they are legal I think I will get me one.

JFN

They're comfortable, light, keep the sun off and they won't shift on your head as you're running to the next position.  Do you know how "cowboys" dressed around here (California) around 1900?  White long-sleeved shirts which pretty much look like a man's  simple dress shirt today.  Clean at the beginning of the day and filthy by the end based on family photos.

Some wore western hats, more it seemed wore something similar to a "trilby", a derby (yes, a derby) or a newsboy cap.  The pants looked like dungarees and the boots looked like ropers or lace-up ropers.

Not at all like some of the silly CAS costumes.

Bc, think George clooney in o brother where art thou. The guy that drove the getaway car in Bonnie and Clyde. James coburn in duck you sucker when he was on the motorcycle at the shows beginning.old timey golfers. The great gatsby.I think they also called them 7 panel caps. Factory workers, farmers, newsboys , rich folks,everybody wore this cap for 20-30 years in that era.  They actually had lots of different styles of this cap. Good costuming cap because it's versatile. 

Don't worry too much about the costume thing unless it is really something that interests you.  Just read the rulebook and comply. 

Kayne Robertson, Past President of the NRA, shot with us this year in a campaign hat, dark shirt and Wranglers.  Don't remember what kind of boots. I just wore my cowboy hat, Wranglers, long sleeve shirt and Redwing work boots with smooth soles.  I kinda hate these discussions as they always sound like I should add "with matching shoulder bag and gloves".  Do remember that some do like to dress in clothes of the period, military of the period, or just wear the minimum to shoot all of which is good.  Many CAS shooters just wear their CAS clothes.  I know shooters from rural areas that wear their everyday working clothes.  Important fact here is Wild Bunch first and foremost is a shooting contest with a real power factor, smaller further out targets, as well as some close burn down stages, and lots of mag changes. Many matches will be adding military boltgun, speed matches and other side matches including shotgun to add to the appeal.  We are working on the definition of a Senor Category and will have it worked out soon.  Pretty sure it will be 65 and above and Traditional and Modern classes will have to have enough for a class before the Senior is activated. Still discussing the minimum for a class now. At EOT, the World Championships, we had World Champions in Long Range Bolt gun, speed rifle, pistol and shotgun as well as wobble trap team. Come and shoot with us.  We have lots of fun.