The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Wild Bunch equipment poll: Magazines

Pecos Clyde
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me a good place to order mags. I am looking to order something like 100 mags as a sort of group buy for a bunch of wild bunch shooters. Would need someone prepared to export.

Have tried Gunclips and a few others who wont export.

Thanks

I'm using these, might see if he'll export. Good mags at good prices.

http://www.joes1911magmania.net/

Just an observation from 35 years of 1911 work, 1/2 million plus rounds, and probably over 3000 different 1911's fired in that time......

You can sometimes make an inexpensive (under 400.00 gun) 1911 run with the premium mags...........

BUT, you can also totally stop a 5 thousand dollar gun with a cheap magazine.

I have nothing else to say..................

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Upon reccomendation by several of the respected WB shooters I know, I have replaced the springs and followers in my McCormick mags with Tripps kits and they run great.

I'm going to buy about a dozen of the Ruger 7 round mags when I can get a good price on them.

KingSnake

The "seven" round TRIPP Research kit is most likely the best conversion out there to my knowledge (limited of course... Ha Ha) at this time.

I will not beat up any others as what works for some, won't work for others........

But the Tripps are nice.

They sell complete magazines as well........... And they are also nice.

Not for the folks that wanna spend 5 bucks for a mag however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I only use Colt mags in my Series 80 Colt. Seems to make sense to me. I got 4 of 'em...... 3 blue 1 stainless

Lookin to get another Colt, maybe a Series 70 this time.  ;)

We sure think alike pard! I have an 80 and lookin to get a 70...probably gonna go SS on the 70 but not sure yet.

I use Colt mags (six 8 mags & six 7 mags). They all seem to work fine.

I chose "Other".  I bought a set of Three (3) 1911 magazines from Sportsman Guide with the correct Lanyard Loop on the bottom of the mags.  The ONLY thing that makes them stand out from "Original" M1911 magazines is they are all blue and not half blue half bare metal with the border of the two at an angle.

• 3 months later...

Have now finished getting enough Tripp internals and springs that I can post with complete accuracy -

Tripp internals in CMCs or Colt factory mag bodies.

:D 

GJ

And, no more borrowed PINK magazines, I hope.  Not that they didn't work well, not that I wasn't extremely grateful, but that they just did not go with my outfit.  :o

Seriously though what do you think of New in Pouch GI mags

Shoot 500 rounds out of each new GI mag.   Toss any with even one failure to feed or eject.  After that, perhaps you have proven to yourself that a mag designed to feed FMJ will shoot your load in your pistol.

Or, get a good Tripp or CMC mag, designed for a positive feed with many more bullet designs than just FMJ, keep it clean and well sprung, and never have to do a prove-it test.  

I think I like the second.

The hard part is that you never really know which manufacturer made the mags, how many years ago, whether you got taken with cheap foreign knockoffs, etc.   All you really know is ........... you did not get a top of the line magazine.  Maybe it's good enough to shoot flawlessly in your gun.   Maybe not.   Want to bet a first place buckle on it?

Good luck, GJ

From what I've read, the GI style mag lips are great at feeding FMJ at full OAL (about 1.266 inch).   That may mean they would be great feeders of 230 gr LRNs, too.

The Parallel lip magazines that Colt normally makes, and the hybrid lip mag design that Tripp and CMC produce are designed to feed shorter rounds, semi wadcutter and hollow point style bullets, as well as handling Ball with good success.  

So, you might just get great feeding from those GI mags, if you are shooting LRNs.    Possibly significant feeding problems with rounds loaded to shorter OALs.

Here's a couple of articles that provide some good reading:

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/read-my-lips.html

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=9178

Some of our WB shooters are using USGI mags with good luck.  As you can see from the numbers, though, more like the CMC or Tripp or Colt mags.

Good luck, GJ