The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Wild Bunch equipment poll: Magazines

Pecos Clyde
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv'e had good luck out of my  ww2 mags and colt mags and my cm mags but i run 230 rn. about the same profile as a fmj  i did buy some cheap mags when i first started playing this game and they were so out of spec and so poorly made that they became wet mold mags for my leather maker friend.  so i guess they did serve a purpose, just not the one intended!  ;D..............dusty

• 1 month later...

At the Convention, the Wild Bunch Illuminaughty were very high on the Tripp follower.  They said the Chip McCormick follower could move forward and drag on the front of the mag well. 

I grabbed my SW1911 out of the safe, and sure enough, there was a drag line where the pointed end of the Chip follower contacted the frame.  No wonder the damn things wouldn't drop free. 

I just ordered seven of the Tripp followers and springs. 

The Convention just paid for itself. 

UM

Likely you spoke to the one of the same guys that initially told me how great TRIPP mags were.  I just kinda thought that was his opinion.

After inspecting my Colt XSE I found the same thing you did on your pistol.....and now I own TRIPP magazines.  The worst thing was after I bought the Tripps I had to tell him he was right......hated that.....

Had them aboout a year now and they have worked great thus far.

Got the package from Tripp.  Faaast shipping.  

I've already installed the first spring/ follower upgrade.

The Tripp spring is about an inch and a half longer and is significantly stiffer. The Tripp follower is also a robust affair. Some instructions would have been nice. Tripp obviously figured that any moron could change a mag spring and follower.

He was wrong.  

Once I tried every conceivable incorrect approach, it only took me a couple of minutes, a punch, an eraser-tipped pencil, several Band-aides, and an Imperial gallon of Bactine to effect the change.  

Looks good.  Now for some range time to see how my Smidt likes the new configuration.    

I bought 4 cheap magazines from The Sportsman Guide that work very well in both my Taurus and my Ruger.  I bought a few more and not one of them would even go into the gun.  I sent them back in exchange for 12 of their stainless steel magazines.  They all worked in both my 1911s, sort of, they did not want to lock the slide back on the last shot.  To fix this I purchased 12 hybrid followers from Tripp Enterprises and they work perfectly in both guns.

Well, if I ask eighteen bucks for a great mag, then sounds like that may work..........

Kinda what I had thought........

And yes, they do work!!!!!!!!!!! No modifications needed, they run as they should out of the package.

Just cost more anywhere you would find them retail......

Stil working out the details, but hopefully soon.

Thanks

Tom

• 4 months later...

I have had great reliability from Mec Gar, either 7 or 8 round mags [yup, I know you can't use the 8s in WB].

Hey DKC

Reference the 8 round magazines.....YUP YOU CAN!!! In either case you can only load a maximum of 5 rounds though.

PC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished the Texas Wild Bunch state match.  I took a bunch of old Colt mags with me.  Had about a dozen "last round" FTF (almost always old mag spring probem.)  These mags were all over 20 years old and had 1000's of rounds through them. 

My mistake.  Need new mags.

I was looking at Wilson Combat Service mags (no base bumper).  I shoot Traditional and these look like they will pass muster.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45494/avs%7CMake_3=1911/Product/1911-45-ACP-SERVICE-MAGAZINE

Does anyone else use these for WB traditional?  How do you like them?

• 1 month later...
Well, Ive read this post since I got my Colt 1911 reproduction model  I bought four additional 'off the shelf' Colt type mags.  Along with the two that came with the gun, I went to the range. WELL, three of them would not lock back the slide, two of them would not drop constantly and so, after about 500 rds of ball FMJ ammo to get the gun warmed up I came home and bought 6 new M'Cormick mags from Brownells.  Put the four in the junk drawer and the original two I packed up in the box.  Nuff said

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...