The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Wb as part of SASS Wire

Kid Rich

I AGREE ENTIRELY !!!!    We have been able to maintain the WBAS forum as an informative and helpful place for those seriously interested in WBAS shooting to come for information. If it were to become merged with the current SASS wire I am sure it will become just another mess.

Could you please elaborate what BS and mess you are talking about as I am not aware of that BS and any mess.

Thanks, Phil

You really haven’t been there much, have you? ☺️The self appointed experts on everything. The alias thief. “Advice” from ones who haven’t shot a match in decades, if ever. The blatant liars supported by former moderates. The WTC arguments that drag on for pages even after PWB says what and why.

I have to agree with Bogus on this one, there are a few in that permeate every thread either to stir up trouble or speak from experience when they shoot one or two times a year.

I would love to see this forum be updated in terms of software, to match that of the sass wire, and I think this forum would live if it were on the same site. That being said, I do wonder how many "experts" we would gain.

Though I’ve been a member of sass since 1996 [still am] I don’t really shoot sass anymore and seldom if ever visit their website. My loyalty to sass if from the many great people, matches and great times that my wife and I have had over the years. I prefer visiting the CAScity forum. There are multiple subforums for any cas firearm, gunsmithing, leatherwork and most period shooting genres out there. Even a Wild Bunch sub forum. There is always lots of interesting positive activity, good threads, smart posts and the political crap is kept under control. The best cas/ reenactor forum out there. IMO WASA is the compromise between NCOWS/SASS and WB. It allows all of us to participate every month. If the WB Forum wants to join something join CAScity. You will certainly get more exposure. My only gripe here is how dead it is but I enjoy my 1911 and M12 and will eventually get to a real dedicated WB match and might even get back into sa’s at some point.

You really haven’t been there much, have you? ☺️The self appointed experts on everything. The alias thief. “Advice” from ones who haven’t shot a match in decades, if ever. The blatant liars supported by former moderates. The WTC arguments that drag on for pages even after PWB says what and why.

I am still quite new to the game and to the Wire, started in late 2018 with CAS. I visit the Wire frequently and I always found valuable information regarding the questions I had. Like in every other forum (and also real life communities) with a certain number of active members there are those statements you have to sort out. But even as a new member you can spot them or they are pointed out and countered by other members. Probably, there are some smoldering feuds I am not aware of.

I try to rate a forum by the amount of positive inputs. The bigger the forum the more trolls and misinformation you have, but also the more good and interesting info. Often, with also newer members contributing to a conversation new aspects show up. My impression is that in smaller, more "encapsulated" forums often only very few very knowledgeable members who love their topic with heart and soul answer questions and this might lead to a lack of new ideas and aspects (please note that I don't think that's the case in the Wild Bunch Forum!). For a new member sometimes approaches and views of other rather new members can be more helpful and encouraging than the way it would be done perfectly. The input from one who only shoots once or twice a year may be objectively seen kind of disputable but for a new shooter who shoots also only 1 to 2 times a year it may be the right thing.

That's my view as an outsider. I haven't shot any Wild Bunch yet, because there is no WB in my neck of the woods yet. Our club wanted to start last year but then COVID showed up... I shot my 1911 in a couple of CAS stages but I'm still in need of a 97 (or mod.12) that is almost impossible to find here.

Phil

P.S.: If there will be a ballot about merging forums or not I will abstain from voting.

BS and attacks! As my wife and I have been life SASS member's for 30 years the few times she made a post there was always a smarty that attacked or ragged on her cause they felt like it. SO she no longer will post or read anything on the SASS wire.

The know it all just go and are replaced by the  next clown.

YES. I do take it hard and remember those who have done her dirt.

Phil,

Where are you located?  We can help point you in the right direction on the closest WB clubs.  We can also help a club wanting to start a WB program.  Always looking to bring new members to the WB game.  You will have a great time. 

EJ

Hi Elwood

Many thanks for your offer to help, that's very kind. But unfortunately, that will be impossible as I live in Switzerland. Our club seems to be the only active one around here. Our (CAS) monthlies are super small with a handfull of shooters. And what we call our Annual would equal a very small monthly match in the USA. But nevertheless, we plan to include some WB stages to have fun shooting our 1911s and stoke those 97s. As I wrote, the pumps are hard to find here, but some pards have one and will share.

Phil

That is a bit of a trip.  However, I do get to Geneva every once in awhile.  One of the perks of my job.  Regardless, if there is anyway I can help, just let me know.  I know the Germans have shoots.  I was going to attend their WB championship until COVID hit.  I can also provide scenarios if that helps.  Don’t be afraid to experiment with other options.  We are having a lot of success with Doughboy shooting (now an approved side match), which we run at the same time as WB.  I have shot my K-11, K-31, 1903, Enfield, and Krag in our monthlies vs a lever gun.  Quit frankly, I prefer Doughboy over WB.  I would be willing to bet you could find a pump shotgun in your world that would meet the intent of WB.  The goal is to have fun while paying respect to the methods and Guns of old.  Don’t be afraid to experiment.  If it gets more folks involved, please share as we may be able to incorporate it into the program. 

Good luck.

EJ

We run our WB, DA or BAMM or a combination of and monthly cas matches at the same time. Shotgun and at least 10 pistol targets are the same for everyone. Extra 1911 targets [WB] and or boltgun targets [bAMM][same order of engagement as cas]  will be different. Everyone plays. I’ll repeat Elwood, don’t be afraid to experiment.

Thank you both for your inputs!

Our TG is going to prepare something for one of our next shoots. I guess, we will combine a CAS event with some WB and see how people like it. One step after the other.. If WB actually becomes a thing at our club I am glad I can ask on this board for good advice and ideas!

I wanted to go this summer to Philippsburg (Germany) to shoot the CAS match and watch some WB, but with all the uncertainties regarding travelling etc. I cancelled it and looking forward to next year.

I am sure I will find a 97 some day as they show up now and then. Last year I missed an opportunity for a nice one as I hesitated too long because of the rather extortionate price tag. In retrospect, I should have grabbed it. For our local shoots something like a Remington pump would certainly do the job but if go to German matches in the future it needs to be a 97, I guess. I keep my eyes open  :)