The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

The Future of the WBAS Forum

C.N. Double
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep the two separate, but add a link that directs folks here. On the top of the SASS home page is a directory, the last tab is "SASS wire forum", when you click that tab, SASS wire, SASS saloon, SASS merchants, SASS classified all appear. Could the WB wire be added to the list?

Many people don't know it exists. There's a current post on the SASS wire about how difficult it is to join the WB wire as well. If there's truth to that, then it should be addressed.

Tully

Tully, the worst part is that there is a link in the Affiliated clubs page for Wild Bunch clubs, but it goes no where. I have debated sending in some pages to see if they would throw them out there. I hate looking at the Wild Bunch information page on sassnet

This thread and the thread on the cowboy wire were started at the same time for different reasons.  The cowboy thread started by pointing out a question that is no longer valid.  We appreciate that being brought to our attention although there are much easier and better ways to do that.  Nonetheless, the answers to all the questions are easy to find, as pointed out by PaleWolf Brunelle.

The questions, or others like them, are essential for keeping spam bots off our wire.  Before the questions were implemented, our volunteer moderators spend an inordinate amount of time fixing the damage done to the forum.

We have had four new members join in the last day so it cannot be too difficult.  However, our moderators are working to make things flow smoothly and are always open to suggestions. 

It is interesting that this thread has had almost 500 views but only 25 people have voted.  The WB wire has always been constructive and positive.  We want it to grow and continue to be useful to the members.  Your constructive opinions are valued.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Too few WB shooters and too many cas shooters who won’t accept WB as another legit cas category. If the WB rules had not included the modern category of 1911s and stayed true to the film using stock 1911 and 1911A1 it would have at least been able to claim it was a category based on the film. By allowing modern guns, casual dress and 7 rd mag loads it has separated itself from sass and imo become ipsc in cowboy boots and become it’s own shooting sport. I pushed for a sass military category with a cut off date of 1912 [when the film takes place] that would have blended well with sass. Nobody was interested. Btw, we shot a WB shoot last Saturday at ECSASS, 8 shot WB-5 shot cas. Nobody’s feelings were hurt and WE ALL had a good time. Last month we shot a BAM/cas match.

Too few WB shooters and too many cas shooters who won’t accept WB as another legit cas category. If the WB rules had not included the modern category of 1911s and stayed true to the film using stock 1911 and 1911A1 it would have at least been able to claim it was a category based on the film. By allowing modern guns, casual dress and 7 rd mag loads it has separated itself from sass and imo become ipsc in cowboy boots and become it’s own shooting sport. I pushed for a sass military category with a cut off date of 1912 [when the film takes place] that would have blended well with sass. Nobody was interested. Btw, we shot a WB shoot last Saturday at ECSASS, 8 shot WB-5 shot cas. Nobody’s feelings were hurt and WE ALL had a good time. Last month we shot a BAM/cas match.

Wild Bunch is a separate shooting game than CAS. WB is not a category, but it's own sport with different rules. In my opinion had we left it 5 rounds using only 1911 and 1911A1's shooting CAS sweeps, within a CAS match, it would never have grown past a side match.

I agree Tully, WB has indeed made it its own game. My opinion though is that as a WB category it could be shot monthly at any big sass match or club match but as it’s own game it is not doing well. There are 8 sass clubs in NC but only one that I know that does monthly WB. We are not sass affiliated and do 3-4 actual WB a year and a couple BAM’s but also allow self-loaders and DA revolvers too. And we do this alongside of cas shooters.

• 3 months later...

Well, one thing thats been promised over several years was the Wild Bunch would be treated as just important as Cowboy.

It could be. I personally know WB shooters who were in it from the start and have quit shooting WB because in some peoples minds it should be a marathon. They feel it is no longer an enjoyable sport and have voted with their feet.

kR

I agree Tully, WB has indeed made it its own game. My opinion though is that as a WB category it could be shot monthly at any big sass match or club match but as it’s own game it is not doing well. There are 8 sass clubs in NC but only one that I know that does monthly WB. We are not sass affiliated and do 3-4 actual WB a year and a couple BAM’s but also allow self-loaders and DA revolvers too. And we do this alongside of cas shooters.

Fair enough.  But if you are shooting CAS stages on CAS targets at CAS distances...it ain't Wild Bunch. Not as I know and like it.. and how the rule book states it is intended to be...

My experience with shooting WB along with cowboy, is nobody wins. WB shooters are disappointed with the scenarios, target distances and round count, many cowboy shooters dislike the 1911 being included simply because it's not a revolver. Shooting 5 rounds in the 1911 will mess folks up at larger WB matches.

However if it's the only opportunity to shoot and the club is willing to do it, then I get it.

Tully

That's kind of my feeling.  Right now, for me it is the only game in town ( or within 300 miles.)  But I have a lot invested in guns, ammo, reloading equipment and supplies, uniforms etc for Wild Bunch, so less than half a cake is better than none.    But I don't feel like I'm really getting realistic practice for a Wild Bunch match  when I can empty a mag (5 rounds, sigh) at an 18 inch target five feet away without even bringing the gun up to my eyeline. And yo are correct, a lot of the cowboy shooters resent my presence.