The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Wild Bunch costuming

evilroy

I want to clarify the position of the Wild Bunch Committee on the ongoing costume subject. You are more than welcome to shoot any WB matches including the Nationals and World Championships with any legal clothing.  You will not be thought less of if you wear the minimum allowed.  If you have any questions just look up the rules.  Our goal is to encourage as many to shoot WB as possible.  We want to draw as many from outside SASS as possible while maintaining the tremendous support we have with present CAS shooters who also shoot WB matches.  We are shooting a sport set in a specific period so you are encouraged to either go all out with military dress of the period or if that does not move you jeans, work boots(by SASS rules.  Look it up) and a hat or headband or whatever.  Again look it up. I will be shooting in jeans, my Redwing boots, black shirt and black hat this year to emphasize simple is ok.  This is first and foremost a serious shooting contest with power factor and large caliber requirements.  If you want to look like Zapata, Pike Lyle or just wear late 19th or early 20 Century ranch wear you will likely be fine.  Again the rules.  CAS gear is usually just fine as well.  I usually just shoot in my regular CAS stuff. Pay attention to the boots.  No lug soles or modern combat type boots.  We want to have fun, shoot big calibers, shoot 1911s, rifles and shotguns, burn up lots of ammo and celebrate the transition period between the Old West and Modern times.

Some things to ponder:  This is 3 gun you can shoot with lead bullets at steel targets on pistol bays.  It is much less expensive than AR ammo, slugs, buckshot, and jacketed pistol bullets.

There is no shooting under cars, through low ports and 50 yard dashes involved.  You have a chance of doing well even you are not 20 years old.

We have added military bolt action rifles as a side shoot this year.  Lots and lots of fun and very inexpensive to get started in.

You can shoot mil spec 1911 one handed in the Traditional Class or modern 1911s in the Modern class.  Just .45 and full size 5 inch pistols.

We shoot both big and small targets.  You cannot just wave the guns at targets and expect to do well in WB.

Women and juniors can operate 1911s just fine.  Wicked Felina is very small and thinks the 1911 is the easiest gun to shoot that she has.

Come play.

You cannot just wave the guns at targets and expect to do well in WB.

HAH! Ain't that the truth!!

Seriously, thank you for stating the info about costuming. I have heard from quite a few that the biggest reason they don't shoot Wild Bunch is the costuming. I've tried my best to make sure they know what is and isn't required.

see you in a few days!

Boggus

Without any exaggeration half the people in the cafe in Dublin are dressed legally for WB matches.  Work shirt, cowboy boots, cowboy hat and jeans.  You do not have to dress in fuzzy chaps to shoot WB or for CAS for that matter.  My first CAS outfit cost $2.50, 20 years ago.  I wore my old cowboy boots, jeans, work shirt and a hat I paid $1.50 for at the thrift shop and a vest I paid $1.00 for at the same place.  Many enjoy dressing up in really fancy duds but many don't like to worry about it too much.  I do not think it is asking to much to wear things to go with the period. We want lots of folks to shoot WB. Work clothes or an all out military outfit are fine as are Mexican clothes or anything seen in the time frame.  Just look at the rule book to be sure it is ok but it is not too complicated.  This sport is going to be very large so come and shoot old guns with us.  It is the most fun shooting sport I have ever done.

Without any exaggeration half the people in the cafe in Dublin are dressed legally for WB matches.  Work shirt, cowboy boots, cowboy hat and jeans.  You do not have to dress in fuzzy chaps to shoot WB or for CAS for that matter.  My first CAS outfit cost $2.50, 20 years ago.  I wore my old cowboy boots, jeans, work shirt and a hat I paid $1.50 for at the thrift shop and a vest I paid $1.00 for at the same place.  Many enjoy dressing up in really fancy duds but many don't like to worry about it too much.  I do not think it is asking to much to wear things to go with the period. We want lots of folks to shoot WB. Work clothes or an all out military outfit are fine as are Mexican clothes or anything seen in the time frame.  Just look at the rule book to be sure it is ok but it is not too complicated.  This sport is going to be very large so come and shoot old guns with us.  It is the most fun shooting sport I have ever done.                        Also that half probably had at least one gun of the three they needed to compete with either on them or in the truck! ;D ;) dusty Boddams

• 2 weeks later...
;D V , that's a real simple ad but makes all the difference in he world . That's the same wild bunch shirt I have. I also picked up some ww2 reproduction canvas leggings when I really want to deck out . I think it makes for a sharp outfit and of course the campaign hat tops it all off.  Dusty boddams

Well I got carried away when I decided to shoot Wild Bunch about three years ago. I decided to go the uniform route. We have long cold winters here in Northern Canada so it gave me something to do researching and trying to find the right equipment. It's a fun shooting category. Glad you cleared up some of the costuming points for anyone considering shooting WB.

NTJ

Forgot to mention, here is a good source for campaign hats http://www.eureka-arsenal.com/index_frame.htm

Thanks Dusty,

All the web equipment is WWI vintage except for the shotgun ammo pouch. The holster is from Pacific Canvas & Leather. Pants and shirt are from Coon Creek and as I mentioned the hat is from Eureka Armory for anyone that is interested. Most of the web equipment was picked up for very reasonable prices. The pistol belt was the last great find. Slightly longer than the mills so I managed to get it around me.  It was the last item I found. I bought about three different replicas and none of the grommet holes stood up any length of time. Nothing beats the original LOL  ;D ;D

I agree . I use an original belt and mag pouches . Like you  a repop shotgun pouch and my holster is an elpaso 1912 mounted. A more correct look can't be found and they are plenty fast. As long as they don't start timing us putting the mags BACK in! My hat is an original 5 row stitch pre ww1 campaign hat. Bought it off eBay and the sweat band was so Groady I wouldn't wear it. So I send it in to a hattery and told them to just replace the sweat band. It comes back and looks brand new so I started wearing it a bunch and now it looks right again and yes I got to much money in it. ;)Question what do you think of the quality of coon creek? Would you buy again? Dusty

Dusty, The only thing I found about Coon Creek was the stitching was weak and started to come loose. Thank goodness my sister sews and she restitched the shirt. You may not notice but my picture on this site has the seams gone in my breeches haha. ( the crotch went - not that you'd notice)  I sewed them up shortly after as the breeze was cooling but the exposure was a bit embarrassing. I have a WWI shirt from What Price Glory ($85.00) if I remember plus dog team shipping to the far north but it is a great shirt and I do wear it when it hits 40 below here in the winter  ;D

PS I had a friend that bought the same items and his wife had to re-stich everything he bought

I want to clarify the position of the Wild Bunch Committee on the ongoing costume subject. You are more than welcome to shoot any WB matches including the Nationals and World Championships with any legal clothing.  You will not be thought less of if you wear the minimum allowed.  If you have any questions just look up the rules.  Our goal is to encourage as many to shoot WB as possible.  We want to draw as many from outside SASS as possible while maintaining the tremendous support we have with present CAS shooters who also shoot WB matches.  We are shooting a sport set in a specific period so you are encouraged to either go all out with military dress of the period or if that does not move you jeans, work boots(by SASS rules.  Look it up) and a hat or headband or whatever.  Again look it up. I will be shooting in jeans, my Redwing boots, black shirt and black hat this year to emphasize simple is ok.  This is first and foremost a serious shooting contest with power factor and large caliber requirements.  If you want to look like Zapata, Pike Lyle or just wear late 19th or early 20 Century ranch wear you will likely be fine.  Again the rules.  CAS gear is usually just fine as well.  I usually just shoot in my regular CAS stuff. Pay attention to the boots.  No lug soles or modern combat type boots.  We want to have fun, shoot big calibers, shoot 1911s, rifles and shotguns, burn up lots of ammo and celebrate the transition period between the Old West and Modern times.

Some things to ponder:  This is 3 gun you can shoot with lead bullets at steel targets on pistol bays.  It is much less expensive than AR ammo, slugs, buckshot, and jacketed pistol bullets.

There is no shooting under cars, through low ports and 50 yard dashes involved.  You have a chance of doing well even you are not 20 years old.

We have added military bolt action rifles as a side shoot this year.  Lots and lots of fun and very inexpensive to get started in.

You can shoot mil spec 1911 one handed in the Traditional Class or modern 1911s in the Modern class.  Just .45 and full size 5 inch pistols.

We shoot both big and small targets.  You cannot just wave the guns at targets and expect to do well in WB.

Women and juniors can operate 1911s just fine.  Wicked Felina is very small and thinks the 1911 is the easiest gun to shoot that she has.

Come play.

Can you please list the model # of your boots?  I'm not sure what's meant by "lugged soles" which are prohibited.  I cannot wear pull-on boots.  If I had to I could not shoot WB matches.  Are there other options?  Thanks.