The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

WBAS Scoring Poll

Allie Mo

Hi Folks,

I'd like to know how many of you would like to make Total Time the official WBAS Scoring at EOT.  Please start another thread for discussion and just stick to whether you'd like that or not.

I've had an ear full of comments against the current WBAS scoring method.

Thanks,

Allie

PS I vote for Total Time scoring.

Hi Folks,

I'd like to know how many of you would like to make Total Time the official WBAS Scoring at EOT. 

Allie

PS I vote for Total Time scoring.

I would like to have a scoring system that you can tell the total time and what was missed or P'ed or safety violation. So I guess I would like Total time with details.

No strong preference, but Stage Points with the details left out is not the way to show results.  Stage points with the details included, would be fine by me.

As we drive WB stages to be similar round counts, as Cowboy did over several years (in order to make multiple posses run smoothly at larger matches), the amount of difference in results between SP and TT becomes pretty small.

Total Time.

I've never been able to understand how the stage point transformation of scores does anything other than obscure results.  At one point, I was open to the idea of trying to understand stage points.  But that train has left my station.  Not only do stage points make match results opaque, they're one more thing in Wild Bunch that is off-putting to new and potential participants.

Total Time  X2

Or fix the stage points so that it actually works ,To have to admit that the scoring system used at the National and World championships for the last TWO YEARS is flawed and had to be reworked is ludicrous . Either fix it or get rid of it .

Personally I think this is the biggest barrier to participation.

Stage Points.  Total time simply encourages youthful, adolescent, reckless abandon.  We should be responsible adults.  Matches should ONLY be scored based on the overall finish, with category placements based on overall. 

Total time scoring is a falsehood perpetuated by a weak-willed majority, that want their participation trophy regardless of skill or actual performance.  Any event where raw speed outweighs the ability to hit targets has denigrated into less of a shooting contest and more of a "trigger drag race."

A contest where 4 people that shoot 12, fast, clean stages can be beat by someone that has misses, is no longer a contest of shooting skill.  Let's not become "cowboy with a 1911" all over again.

Well as one of the apparently "weak willed majority" I would just like to say that I don't care about trophies much one way or another . I do care that the system is fair,works correctly from the start and that it doesn't require manipulating after the fact to get a result. If the scoring algorithm is sound then the formula works. If it doesn't then we need a new one.

If speed combined with accuracy is an issue maybe we should do away with the timer altogether ,that sounds fun......

I may be weak willed but I will continue to stand by the majority .

We intend to keep stage points for major matches. (WR, EOT) Until the problems with DNF's and SDQ's are addressed successfully with TT we plan to keep the system.  As for the issues at EOT the problems occur with ANY scoring system when there is a SDQ or a DNF when you score within category (a small pool) the SDQ or DNF becomes a huge factor.  When you re-score with a large pool (total shooters for overall) the SDQ/DNF becomes a much smaller factor. That is just the way math works.  One thing being considered is IF Overall Winners are going to continue (SASS likes them) Instead of scoring within category and then re-scoring Overall we may just do like TT and RP currently score. Just score everyone together in Overall and then pick the category winners out of that list in order. That would make it impossible for a person to NOT win their category and place above others in their category overall. The downside is you loose the pure within category scoring. You can't have it both ways.

Stage Points.  Total time simply encourages youthful, adolescent, reckless abandon.  We should be responsible adults.  Matches should ONLY be scored based on the overall finish, with category placements based on overall. 

Total time scoring is a falsehood perpetuated by a weak-willed majority, that want their participation trophy regardless of skill or actual performance.  Any event where raw speed outweighs the ability to hit targets has denigrated into less of a shooting contest and more of a "trigger drag race."

A contest where 4 people that shoot 12, fast, clean stages can be beat by someone that has misses, is no longer a contest of shooting skill.  Let's not become "cowboy with a 1911" all over again.

;D Griff, I was going to say something clever about this like why don't you just say what's on your mind? But it's so well written and makes the point so well that I just have to agree with you and I think you hit the nail on the head! You play'n this weekend? Dusty B