The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Rule Changes

Under "Sanctioning," I simply cannot accept that dollar value with out a lot more data. I was feeling deceived with the "Membership and Shooting Engagement" numbers, unless there are just way more active SASS member than I can reasonably estimate. 

Misty claims only $8448 has been taken in for sanctioning fees in the last 10 years! From Bear Creek Volunteers alone hosting sanctioned matches from 2019-2023 I can account for at least $1,035. For state matches I have attended in OK, TX, and KS from 2020-2023 (non-inclusive of all matches, missing at least 4 state matches in this) I can account for another at least $1600 of sanction fees. Based on average shooters, those four state matches I missed, would be about $500 more. Four years, and four states have generated more than $3000. I am to believe the rest of the country can't account for any more?   

• Like 5

I've resigned from my role as WBAS Wire admin/moderator (I didn't really do much anyway).

Thank you to all the ambassadors who have made and tried to keep this game great. I prefer a competitive, fun, and challenging shooting sport, but it seems Misty is now taking WBAS in a different direction.

Looks like EoT 2024 might be my last SASS Wild Bunch™ match.

Edited by C.N. Double
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, J. Frank Norfleet said:

Come to NM in April. It is NOT a SASS sanctioned match.

I'm planning on it. I'm guessing the places I like to travel to and shoot the most will keep doing what they've been doing, so I'm not worried about finding great matches to shoot.

It seems like some folks really do want bigger closer targets and simpler sequences, and that's fine, but it's those qualities that make CAS boring for me, so I don't shoot it much any more. If sanctioned WBAS matches are moving in that direction, those aren't matches I'll return to.

I have no issue with Misty pandering to her members in an effort to make money -- it's a business after all. However, it does seem kind of dirty how she has treated the volunteers who have done so much work to make WBAS what it is (or was).

I'm not much of a leader, but I'm an OK soldier, and I'll be glad to support those ambassadors and other volunteers who want to keep building and shooting a game like yesterday's Wild Bunch.

• Like 10

This is a shame, Boggus is correct you can’t please everyone, if you want to play the game follow the rules don’t whine about them. Fortunately there are clubs that will stick to the original ideas and make it a challenge. I know it is a business decision but I agree with C N Double about the previous volunteers.

ST

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I will not change the way I set up and shoot both WB & CAS at my home club. If you want to shoot what your have, then come and play. But leave the competitive natural of Wild Bunch alone at the major venues, i.e. Regionals, National & EOT. It's not a cowboy action with a 1911. I don't want to see more whining by the new CAS or ??? shooters, then change the round counts back to 5 round mags, cause they can't count past 5. Leave it alone. Afraid this may backfire on SASS. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 5

Hi All

Have been reading all the WB comments on both the WB Wire and the Cowboy Wire concerning the upcoming rules changes with interest. Many of the comments, on both forums, are well thought out while others remind me of the ‘Chicken Little Syndrome’.

My own thoughts think that allowing 38 rifles will change participation level insignificantly. One of my concerns, at the moment is, with the 38 rifle, is which rifle do I use while participating in my chosen category? Plain and simple, I can shoot my slicked out 38 rifle much faster than the slicked out $2K Long Hunter 45Colt rifle I purchased just a few months ago. If my competitors are going to use the faster of the two rifles and those stages are shot, let’s say 2 to 3 seconds faster than me, those seconds add up over the 10 stages of a match. I like to compete and I relish the adrenalin rush of trying my best to be at the top of the heap. Therein lies my challenge. What will I do at the ‘Big Match’ next February? Many matches are won (and lost) over just a few seconds.

One of my other concerns are matches themselves. In our travels we have been to WB Matches all over the Western US and Minnesota. Some places, after reading stages, I have to sit down, scratch my head a bit, take out my pencil and sketch out how to shoot this scenario. It’s supposed to fun, not complicated. Have also been places where the scenarios are mind boggling and the pistol targets (along with the rifle/pistol targets) are completely lost behind my front sight on my 1911. Have been to a place, shot a SASS Sanctioned State WB Match and the scores were never posted. Been to a place where the props were so rickety, rules were not followed and competitors who were much more ‘local’ than I left the match in disgust with the vow to vote with their pocket book and never return. Anyone who travels and shoots WB has been to these types of places and probably won’t return. These types of problems, in my humble opinion, are what turns shooters away and not be the soon allowance of 38 rifles, 1887 shotguns or double barrel shotguns.

Have also read comments where some shooters would like to see ‘Condition 1’ utilized at WB Matches. For some shooters, not a problem with that. However, have stood behind others and been scared watching them draw, shoot and load their 1911’s. While I might like to do this myself the thoughts of everyone being allowed to do this is somewhat concerning to me. I guess we have to be careful for what we ask for.

Over the past day, have noted comments where folks with titles within the SASS WB Organization, after 12/31/23, will no longer have their ‘Titles’ and are upset. I understand that. I also understand that those folks will, in all likelihood, will be voted right back in with new and different titles. Remember, there are many other shooters, standing in the wings for years, that would like to have those same opportunities and will never be given the chance.

So, will SASS WB cease to exist because of these new rules? I doubt it. Whether I like these new rules or not, they were a business decision of management to increase participation levels and increase dollars in. In one of my past reincarnations, I audited business for a number of years. Business do not operate at losses for long and continue to exist.

My own beliefs are that both organizations, in the next ten years or so, will die a slow death through age attrition. Just to sight my own past, when I came to the area where I shoot now, I was 52 and one of the young guys. Eighteen years later I am now 70 and still one of the younger guys. What does this say to you-all? Many will have different thoughts than I do. Time will tell.

Finally, Misty in her email to everyone yesterday, said that we (SASS) are in the ‘entertainment business’. Much can be (and should be) read into that comment. Most, in the generations behind ours, could care less about what we do and it shows.

My thoughts, and my thoughts alone, are that if clubs don’t make a large attempt to cater to an aging population that remembers why we do what we do there won’t be any population left.

Respectfully submitted,

J.J

PS - A couple of years ago I was looking to why the 1911 was developed and what it was developed for. This picture has always reminded me of what the distances of the 1911 were developed for.

main-qimg-b6d1e65a27eaaa03caf7faed6a23f798.jpg

• Like 5

JJ, for years we heard “if you do _______, I’ll shoot Wild Bunch.” 7 rounds in the mag, tactical reloads, base pads, total time(which was forced on us) and you know what? As soon as those rules all went into effect, those same people had another excuse for not shooting…

Like I mentioned in my previous post that was pulled from above, those same people are already making excuses as to why they still won’t shoot Wild Bunch…

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JJ said:

Over the past day, have noted comments where folks with titles within the SASS WB Organization, after 12/31/23, will no longer have their ‘Titles’ and are upset. I understand that. I also understand that those folks will, in all likelihood, will be voted right back in with new and different titles. Remember, there are many other shooters, standing in the wings for years, that would like to have those same opportunities and will never be given the chance.

I can also assure you that those volunteers don’t care one whit about those “titles”. They bust their butts for the betterment of the sport.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, JJ said:

My own beliefs are that both organizations, in the next ten years or so, will die a slow death through age attrition. Just to sight my own past, when I came to the area where I shoot now, I was 52 and one of the young guys. Eighteen years later I am now 70 and still one of the younger guys. What does this say to you-all? Many will have different thoughts than I do. Time will tell.

Now that is the brutal truth.

JFN

On 11/2/2023 at 1:14 AM, C.N. Double said:

I'm planning on it. I'm guessing the places I like to travel to and shoot the most will keep doing what they've been doing, so I'm not worried about finding great matches to shoot.

It seems like some folks really do want bigger closer targets and simpler sequences, and that's fine, but it's those qualities that make CAS boring for me, so I don't shoot it much any more. If sanctioned WBAS matches are moving in that direction, those aren't matches I'll return to.

I have no issue with Misty pandering to her members in an effort to make money -- it's a business after all. However, it does seem kind of dirty how she has treated the volunteers who have done so much work to make WBAS what it is (or was).

I'm not much of a leader, but I'm an OK soldier, and I'll be glad to support those ambassadors and other volunteers who want to keep building and shooting a game like yesterday's Wild Bunch.

☝️This!!!☝️

I'm probably quitting since now i'll have to go buy a 38 rifle with a carbon fiber mag, short stroke kit and start loading mouse fart 38's which also will require me to purchase new brass, primers and dies just to stay competitive.

Edited by Boomstick Bruce
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

☝️This!!!☝️

I'm probably quitting since now i'll have to go buy a 38 rifle with a carbon fiber mag, short stroke kit and start loading mouse fart 38's which also will require me to purchase new brass, primers and dies just to stay competitive.

Don’t quit! Just come shoot with the redress of us.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 3:16 PM, Flying W Ramrod said:

Folks, concerning the "Condition 1" idea.

Every shooting sport, that utilizes Condition 1 to start, require the holster cover the entire trigger guard.

This is to keep the finger off the trigger when drawing your pistol

If we go Condition 1, everyone will have to get a new holster.

Just FYI

Not everyone as there are some holsters out there that do cover it.

Boomstick,

Do you shoot Cowboy or just Wild Bunch?  If you do shoot Cowboy are you shooting a 45C or 38spl rifle in Cowboy?  To me makes no difference on the rifle, I can actually shoot my 45C faster than my Cowboy 38spl.  I would prefer to load the 38spl as I load for three folks shooting WB.  I can shoot my 38 for 1/2 the cost of the larger 45.  

With the rifle being downplayed so much we are looking at maybe 60-70 rifle rounds total for a large match.  Compared to almost 300 rounds, or more, of 45acp.  The match is won with mag changes, not the rifle.  

I don't care one way our the other.  I'll continue to shoot my 45C for WB.  Now the other two shooters may want 38's, but there is no advantage in my opinion.

• Like 2