The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

WTB 1911 for wild bunch

Shot my first big wild bunch match yesterday and the pistol I brought performed less than stellar.  Had hiccups all day.  The gun I was using is not worth spending any more money on.  I am looking for a 1911 that is slicked up and ready to run wild bunch.  Let me know what you have.  Thanks

Here is some more information.  I shoot traditional.  The pistol I was shooting yesterday was a "franken" gun that I picked up cheap.  it is a put together parts gun, aluminum frame, SS slide, GI barrel, assorted parts and pieces from who knows what guns.  The magazines are either new colt or new springfield 7 round mags.  I tested the mags in two other 1911's and they worked perfect.  The gun failed to go into battery several times, failed to eject twice, and on a one round reload it didn't feed the cartridge into the barrel and I had to dump the mag, reload the cartridge and try again.  The ammo is loaded on my Dillon 650 and every round is checked in a chamber gauge.  I think in the future I am going to load new brass for any big matches and use my used brass at local wild bunch events.  I may drop in a new set of springs and see if that solves any of my problems but regardless, I am not spending the money on this one to go to a smith to make it run.  It isn't worth it.  The parts are worth what I paid for it so I am not out anything.  So I am in the market for a 1911, either one ready to run from someone who doesn't shoot wild bunch anymore, someone's spare, or I would take recommendations on what new gun to buy. 

Jack, first of all that pistol is NOT legal at a sanctioned match. Aluminum frames are not allowed. My suggestion is not to waste another penny on the gun. Sell it !!!  Make sure it isn't to a friend or they won't be anymore.  Right now you can sell about anything for a good price.  Go look for a Springfield mil spec.

There isn’t a new gun, out of the box, ready to run. They’re usually all way over sprung and sights suck. The Remington R1 isn’t bad, nor is the Tisas. The Auto Ordnance is close. A couple Colts are close as well.

I am just learning this game so open to suggestions.  I want to stay in traditional category.  I guess I will start off with what bullet weight and load do you recommend because I know that effects which springs you would also recommend.  For this match I loaded up some 200 gr swc's at 800 fps average.  I have heard that 230's loaded at lower velocity to meet power factor actually recoil less but I haven't had time to experiment with this yet. 

What mods do you recommend besides springs?  What do you do to improve the sights?  Thanks for the help. 

230 gr Cast round nose bullets loaded with 4.0 - 4.1 gr WST will deliver about 160 PF, but should be checked in your pistol.  That is a favorite load of many WB shooters.  Trail Boss works too, feels like a bit less recoil at the same PF.  In these days of limited powder availability, you may not have much choice so peruse the reloading manuals for a list of powders that will deliver at least the minimum  PF of 150 with a bit of cushion (say 160) with 230 grain bullets. 

• 4 months later...
I would blame your lightweight frame for a lot of your issues. You’ve really got to lock the auto down using one hand and a light gun is even harder to control which will cause cycling issues. I had one that cracked at the slide lock cutout, sold it to a bud for his .22 build. Get an older Auto Ordnance or a Rock Island. I shoot traditional too and initially used a heinz early Colt slide/essex frame that I had built but then added a beautiful nickel Rock Island sold by Cimarron and my latest was an old AO 1911. I put medium to long triggers on my 1911s and like flat recoil springs. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, to update this thread I have bought an Auto Ordnance and sent the slide to Bogus Deal and had new sights put on it.  Been working up a load using WST and 230 grain bullet.  Have not been shooting lately because it is HOT in Florida but plan on starting back probably in September.  Looking forward to using this new pistol in wild bunch. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2021 at 5:41 PM, Grouchy Spike said:

230 gr Cast round nose bullets loaded with 4.0 - 4.1 gr WST will deliver about 160 PF, but should be checked in your pistol.  That is a favorite load of many WB shooters.  Trail Boss works too, feels like a bit less recoil at the same PF.  In these days of limited powder availability, you may not have much choice so peruse the reloading manuals for a list of powders that will deliver at least the minimum  PF of 150 with a bit of cushion (say 160) with 230 grain bullets. 

4.0 to 4.1 wst? I think I'm over loading at 4

5 but if I ho lower will my POA vs POI ?

Dropping your powder from 4.5 to to 4.1 grains WST will not lower your impact by more than about 1/2 inch at 25 yards, and we rarely shoot that far.  Yes, you are loading warmer than you have to for a 230 grain slug. 

(I have found 1911 guns are pretty variable in the velocity each one will give with a particular load.  So, I never assume that a load someone else uses will give a legal velocity in my guns.  ALWAYS check with a chronograph.  Preferably on a cold day.  Too many shooters get surprised at big matches.)

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe

• 7 months later...