The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

New official Wild Bunch side matches

DUSTY BODDAMS

Introducing Doughboy and Teddy Roosevelt

The newest sass recognized wild bunch side matches

To say that wild Bunch Action shooters enjoy great and well thought out side matches would be an understatement. WB competitions featuring innovative side matches are highly attended and anticipated. BAMM

(Bolt Action Military Match) has achieved an unparalleled success and is represented at most large matches. Competitors enjoy wild bunch and BAMM. The next logical step is Doughboy ! The newest side match removes the pistol caliber rifle and replaces it with the BAMM rifle shooting at distant targets along with the 1911 pistol and shotgun. As a bonus wild Bunch shooters are also treated to the Teddy Roosevelt class which is a rifle caliber lever action rifle replacing the pistol caliber rifle. This interesting side match allows some great rifles such as the 76,86,94,95 Winchester’s along the savage 99’s and the rifle caliber marlins. Receiver sights are legal as are the model 14 Remington pump rifles in calibers 25 Remington,30 Remington,32 Remington and the 35 Remington. More details are in the newly updated WB shooters handbook. This pair of great side matches allows for a mix of shooting on a stage or multiple stages. The wild bunch committee should receive a round of applause for embracing these extraordinary side matches and delivering them to the wild bunch shooting community.

If anyone has questions on how to incorporate Doughboy and Teddy Roosevelt into your monthly WB program, please give me a shout.  I’m sure Dusty is also willing to answer any questions you might have. 

Have fun digging through your safe to find something else to play with. 

EJ

Thanks for all the work and for pioneering these side matches! I think we'll be starting one or both of these up really soon!

That said, did they really need to add that line about Garands in the rule book?  :P

Maybe it was added so in next year's rule book they can delete it strike it out :)

Why the requirement to stage the bolt rifle with bolt fully open? With the exception of the CAS shotguns (which are always unloaded), we don't stage any other guns with the actions open. I'm assuming there is a good reason, but I'd like to understand it better. If the open/loaded rifle slipped and fell, could the bolt get bumped on the way down and chamber a round? I believe it could.

We are thinking we keep stage descriptions the same, but add a longer/smaller set of rifle targets for the DB shooters. Often, we probably won't be able to match the DB targets with the main match rifle targets one-for-one, so I guess we just write a different set of instructions for the rifle in those situations. Is this what most folks are doing?

Have there been any issues intermingling DB shooters with the others, or are there other things we need to consider before starting it?

We will limit velocity to 1400fps due to range requirements. Most of our targets will be at ~25-35yds. We have some 4" hanging plates, and we are considering some silhouette-type knock down plates to keep them small but reactive. It's hard to see hits on those 4" static plates.

Thanks again for the help and guidance.

Bolt open is for the Nagant—Bolt will not close on an empty chamber with 5 rounds in the magazine.  . 

Each stage description should have a round count and separate target engagement guidance (5, 7 and 10 shots do not always fit in the same target sequence) for WB, DB and TR.  Sometimes we use same targets sometimes we separate WB from the other two depending on depth of berm.  Timing wise, 5 rounds out of DB and TR run about the same as 7 from a WB rifle.  Especially if you put the targets a little farther out.  If you run a reload in DB (10 rounds), it will take a little longer than a full round of 10 in WB and 7 in TR.  We usually only have one DB reload per shoot.  As you run the stages you will find ways to keep the timing fairly equatable.  Bottom line, you are going to have to make adjustments to get it working for your range, targets and shooters.  It is definitely worth the effort. 

EJ 

I’ll get a couple of stages written by Hondo and send them to you. 

Thanks, EJ -- what you sent is exactly what I envisioned. We're going to try a few targets this weekend, and we might do our first DB match in a few weeks. The two of us who are most enthusiastic about it like to do reloads, so we'll probably do a mix of 5-10 to force single reloads too. Clock be damned!

Finally, a reason to load more BAMMo!

There is not a limit at this time.  Depending on the targets and ranges a club has, it may be beneficial for them to establish a limit.  AR steel and/or place the targets farther out is recommended because of the higher velocities associated with with rifle caliber weapons.  As a result a max velocity has not been established.  Depending on feedback, it may be looked at down the road.     

LV, yes rem 141 would be legal as it’s just a continuation of a model 14 with beefier wood and a production date beginning 1935. Popgun is just a grass roots item at this time. It does get played a lot in Texas and Oklahoma and I’m sure other areas. Introduce it to wild Bunch shooters in your area and see if it takes off. 

I would say a FPS cap might be a solid plan. After shooting Teddy Roosevelt with an '86 in 45-70 @ 1350 FPS, I would tell you it is plenty of power. No damage or bad things, but we saw some heavy 10" squares go just about straight back at about 30 yards. It was awesome to see and shoot though.

1400 FPS would keep it inline with other velocity maximums and would be easy enough.

• 2 weeks later...

We developed a Wild Bunch DB category in our regular WB matches  over a year ago.  Our range has distant targets available so really all we had to do was brimg BAM rifles and designate the DB targets at each stage.  The targets are  various shapes, mostly smallish cowboy targets set at 35 to 100+ yards.  Starting with the rifle staged open and empty with ammo in stripper clips.  Usually only 5 rounds of BAM at each stage. Shooting is offhand, unsupported. It is a HOOT! 

Blackfoot