The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

New official Wild Bunch side matches

DUSTY BODDAMS

Interesting.  Well maybe POP might make it some year.

Sure would love to see something other than 1911 but doubt it is going to happen.  Guess I remember the run what you brung before SASS got ahold of WB. 

Quick question, Model 14 only not Model 141?

Nothing to stop you offering that at club level.  At our recent little WB State Titles we offered a Precision side match for "Pre 1945 handguns, other than 1911's"  I took my 1912 Steyr along and a bunch of people shot it... (got beaten with my own gun which is the norm when you loan them out! lol) and another guy turned up with a Nagant Revolver.  ;D  Hope to build on that next year.

1400 FPS would keep it inline with other velocity maximums and would be easy enough.

1400 might work for 45-70 but it will be difficult to keep to with .30-06 or .30-40 for Doughboy.  My load books dont have data for velocities that low.

Get you some Trail Boss!  ;D  I'm getting 1350 with a 90% full or so case of TB in an 8 x 56R.

I actually tested a .30-06 load today with 10.0gn Unique and Norm Purcella's 170gn GCSil (.310") loaded to 3.19 OAL... and it shot an average of 1300fps +- 10fps -- which was way more consistent than I expected. I'm going to try to reduce it even further, but this will be my go-to for close-range DB matches.

I actually tested a .30-06 load today with 10.0gn Unique and Norm Purcella's 170gn GCSil (.310") loaded to 3.19 OAL... and it shot an average of 1300fps +- 10fps -- which was way more consistent than I expected. I'm going to try to reduce it even further, but this will be my go-to for close-range DB matches.

I have Unique on my bench (Trail Boss seems o be unobtainable right now).  Do you have a load for 150gr spire points.  What ranges are you shooting at 1300fps?  Out BAMM/Doughboy targets go out to 150-175 yards. 

Do you have a load for 150gr spire points.  What ranges are you shooting at 1300fps?  Out BAMM/Doughboy targets go out to 150-175 yards.

Sorry, I don't have a 150gn load, but Unique seems pretty forgiving. With the 170gn bullet, I started with 16.0gn (~1700fps), then I backed it down to 13.0 (~1500fps), and now I'm at 10.0gn. For your ranges, 12-14gn might be a good place to start with the 150gn bullet, but experiment at your own risk. Our shooting bays are very shallow (25yds max), so we are shooting 4-8" targets as far back as we can get them. This certainly isn't a ballistic match, but at least we get to play with guns  8)

I've been using this site for ideas on extremely light charges -- lots of charges here I never would have thought to try (and maybe shouldn't?): http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm