The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Slingshot 1911 Slide Releases Causing Blood Blisters

For some unknown reason, I've always used the slingshot method for 1911 slide releasing. In my last two matches have gotten a blood blister on my release hand. I guess the best cure is to start pressing the slide stop to drop the slide. Wondering how hard it is to retrain myself to do this? My gun is a Ruger SR 1911 which is a Modern class. Probably will end up with an extended slide stop. Has anyone else worked through this issue?

This years matches seem to have a larger pistol round count than in the past, so more magazine changes and chances to screw up. Life is good!

I use the slide stop to release the slide.  I do have extended stops on my 3-Gun 1911 and my EDC 1911, both are from the very early '80s, made by Pachmyer.  They're quite a bit smaller than what I've seen lately.  The one on my EDC has been on it for nearly 35 years, and have never had it fail to lock back with good magazines.  (The problem most experts seem to predict will happen).  I had to run many, many drills getting used to the timing of slamming in a magazine and releasing the slide.  All my WB 1911s run a stock slide release.

With the Modern two-handed style, I don't even think about using my strong hand thumb to release the slide, it just happens naturally as my weak hand comes up the supporting grip position.

I use the slide stop to release the slide.  I do have extended stops on my 3-Gun 1911 and my EDC 1911, both are from the very early '80s, made by Pachmyer.  They're quite a bit smaller than what I've seen lately.  The one on my EDC has been on it for nearly 35 years, and have never had it fail to lock back with good magazines.  (The problem most experts seem to predict will happen).  I had to run many, many drills getting used to the timing of slamming in a magazine and releasing the slide.  All my WB 1911s run a stock slide release.

With the Modern two-handed style, I don't even think about using my strong hand thumb to release the slide, it just happens naturally as my weak hand comes up the supporting grip position.

While certainly no expert but what have actually seen is the slide stop locking the sliode back at the wrong time. I have two theories as to why. One is the extra weight of it overcomes a lightened plunger spring while the gun is in recoil. Second, is that the shooter bumps it accidentally.

As for extended thumb safeties, I see those get bumped off while the gun is holstered or being restaged while locked in shooting sports that allow it.

Actually, the weight of the extended slide release makes it very easy to overcome the magazine spring's tension forcing it up with the mag follower and a failure to lock back occurs.  Some of the new ones are so big, it might move too slowly to move it up into the notch.  Why mine are trimmed from their original configuration slightly.

Because they are so, comparatively speaking, it's very easy for a shooter the apply enough upward pressure to lock the slide back during recoil.  Seen here on my "parts gun" (no, it's not a WB gun!!!):

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/sass93/DSCN08361.jpg

Hey Griff

How come Dusty Bottoms Picture is on your profile.  Are you hiding from the Law or your EX Wives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Wow, Goatneck that is funny!  And you are correct, it looks like Dusty's photo.  Though I can't imagine Griff's EXes ever looking for him, but possibly all his EXes live in Texas.  Sure missed having a visit with you at WR.  Hopefully we can catch up at EoT?

JFN

Hey Griff

How come Dusty Bottoms Picture is on your profile.  Are you hiding from the Law or your EX Wives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See the caption.  My Hero!!!  Although it's a little tarnished after this weekend!