The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

97's and model 12's

Crazy Knife Al

Dittos to both the above posts. Avoid the '97 and the 3" "duck" model 12.  Look for a plain jane M12.  And get one in "like new" condition.  And there are lots of them out there with a reasonable price tag, and by reasonable I mean $250 to $300.  The M12 will shoot 1000's of rounds so avoid those that have fired those rounds.  If possible find one with a flag on the carrier and instal a titanium firing pin and enjoy.

Note that the Model 12 Featherlite only holds four rounds in the magazine and, therefore, is unsuitable for WB.

Also, it seems, Winchester's tooling was getting very ragged near the end of production as they tried to keep the model going against the intense competition ($$$) from the 870.  So, brooches and even tool heads were used beyond the point of being worn out.  Check out 1,8xx,xxx+ guns thoroughly inside the receiver.

Glad all you pards glommed onto the M12....leaves more 97's for me.    Although I've tried a couple of M12s, I find them too hard to run really fast.  Leave me to my China doll 97s!

At least I know how to fix everything on them!  But, actually, in 6 years, only a startup glitch on one and the others have been perfect.  Shorten the mag spring and away you go.

Glad all you pards glommed onto the M12....leaves more 97's for me.    Although I've tried a couple of M12s, I find them too hard to run really fast.  Leave me to my China doll 97s!

At least I know how to fix everything on them!  But, actually, in 6 years, only a startup glitch on one and the others have been perfect.  Shorten the mag spring and away you go.

Too hard to run fast? Maybe that's why the winners of the last 2 National and World championships ran model 12s.... And at least the last 3 NM state championships and the latest territorial.

I think both the '97's and 12's that are tuned do well in WBAS matches. While I'm certainly not a World or Natl. Champion I did win the speed Shotgun at the recent Territorial with my old '97.  Shoot what you like and can find. As long as it functions well the SG won't win a WBAS match. It is the 1911 that wins or looses the matches (in my opinion).