The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Dead Horse Poll - Seven Rounds in the Magazine?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DB,

I don't have any expectations at this point.  If it changes GREAT!, if not I keep shooting.  I didn't start this poll because I was on a crusade.  I started it out of curiosity.  The rumor that came to me at WR (and that is all it may be, a rumor) was that the WBAS committee thought that the only folks wanting 7 rounds to a mag were newbie shooters.  Frankly, I am surprised that since the poll started that it has been a strong 2/3rds if favor of 7 rounds.

Yes, I write pistol only stages.

No, I never shot the stage above with seven rounders.  But I think I can answer your question.  Smart folks shot it 10 rifle, 6 shotgun and 10+ pistol. (BTW -  I think it was comstock on the knockdowns.  Extra rounds could be expended on getting a KD down or dumped on a stationary target.  All guns must be shot dry.)  At BS I shot it 25 pistol and at EOT I shot it like everybody else.

So, count the transitions: beep to rifle, rifle to shotgun, shotgun to pistol and one mag change = 4 transitions for 26 rounds.  All pistol with 5 round mags: beep to pistol and 4 mag changes = 5 transitions for 25 rounds (if you wanted to make up a missed KD that adds another mag change and a dump).  All pistol with 7 rounders: beep to pistol and 3 mag changes = 4 transitions for 28 rounds.  Since my splits on the pistol are much faster than the rifle I would opt for all pistol with 7 round mags, unless there are some targets way out there.  If a shooter knows their transition times and splits on each gun at different target distances they can reason this out.

JFN

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jfrank, I think the poll was interesting also. it really has had a lot of life for a dead horse. slight subject change------I figured you would be writing some pistol only stages :)  so what's your round count? are you moving ? stand and deliver? walk me thru one if you don't mind. I always like to hear what all folks are coming up with.  dusty

DB,

Generally 25 rounds, tho I like 30 too.  Since most folks carry 6 mags and one in the pistol that leaves an extra mag or two for a wreck.  I like movement and seeing a new set of targets at each shooting position.  Rarely do I do any stand and deliver, although they can be fun too.  Also I like stages that give shooters an option of moving down range or staying in a spot for far targets.  Found a couple of stages in my file and have emailed them to you.

JFN

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...