The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Modern 1911

Bart Solo

Bart, all the recently built 1911s I have handled has some sharp edges, unless it is sold with the "melted" look. My custom built on a Wilson frame and slide has very sharp edges. Very crisply finished, like a 1911 should be. Its not a problem for me. I'll occasionally pinch my hand switching magazines.

That model Colt is one of my favorites and I have handled many of them. I would gladly shoot one, anytime and you don't have to worry about sharp edges. 

Bart, I have a XSE Combat Elite.  Cleaned and lubed it, checked magazines for fit and function, shot about 100 practice rounds of 230 gr ball ammo, and entered the WB match.  No hiccups.

I haven't noticed 'sharp' edges so I just compared it to a S&W1911E, Ruger SR1911, Mag Research Desert Eagle 1911G.    Perhaps the Colt's edges aren't quite as radiused as the others, but if so it's almost microscopic.  In hand, I don't notice an appreciable difference and nothing feels sharp, except for the lower edges of the forward cocking grooves on the slide, but so are they on the DE 1911G and the S&W1911E.

I think that you'll like the XSE!  Tight barrel/slide/frame fit.  Nice trigger, slightly heavier than the DE1911G but not objectionable.  I don't have a trigger pull gauge, so that's a bit subjective.  In Wild Bunch you'd not notice it.  Maybe shooting 100 yd bullseyes you might.  Miaybe.

The 1911G has the lightest, smoothest trigger pull out of the box, compared to Rock, Ruger, Rem, SA, Colt XSE, S&W 1911E.    And that's on three 1911Gs so it's probably not an anomaly.  It's actually a sleeper in value for $557 at Buds.

I asked the original question because I recently added a magwell and an upgraded front sight to my SA Range Officer.  It makes for a really good UPSPSA limited 10 pistol, but it is no longer legal for Wild Bunch.  I have a Springfield Mil Spec that I shoot traditional. It is nicely set up for traditional. Of course, I could always shoot the SA in modern if I elected, but I have always wanted a pony. 

That said I have been doing some research, and wonder if any of you really find a quality difference between the various major brands in the 800-1100 range.  I am still thinking about buying a Colt, but the one thing I have learned about our sport is we actually shoot a lot. Many of the folks I know keep their Colts as safe relics bringing them out only to show them to visitors. I want a gun I won't be afraid to shoot.  Which of the main brands are real shooters and which are just nice to look at.

As a former dealer in collectable 1911's I can say that NO Colt 1911 made in the last 100 years is collectable and worth more than what someone is willing to pay for it. If you have a newer Colt just shoot it. As for who makes  a good 1911?? Lots of people. I like Kimber, Springfield and S & W custom shop ones and obviously the expensive stuff from Le Baer, Wilson, etc. etc. Almost any new manufaxcture 1911 will work for our game. Some are obviously better than others but many have good luck with guns from the Armscor, Ruger, etc.

Which of the main brands are real shooters and which are just nice to look at.

I have absolutely no regrets shooting my Colt Series 70s, either the original run from 1973, or a recent return-to-Series 70 run (probably 2009 or so).    They both shoot so well for traditional I look to no other factory's line.  They are THAT good, and still reasonable.    Up over 100K rounds through the old one - finally had an in-match failure, which I fixed in five minutes.

In Modern category, you get the luxury of SO much choice.  But a Colt or Springfield frame and slide is never a bad place to start.

Good luck, GJ

I still want a pony, but the Ruger has a lot going for it.  A great manufacturer, 100% American made, wonderful support, everything you would want in a Wild Bunch modern gun, but not much more.  Enough accuracy for our game.  From what I have heard they hold together well under hard use.  Best of all it is 2 or 3 hundred less than the Colt.     

Returning to Colt, I have always heard that the original is the best (until you spend 2-3 K for a wall hanger from one of the custom shops) but I have found the Springfield's assembled in Illinois to be hard to beat.  My current Range Officer is perhaps the tightest and most accurate 1911 I have ever encountered.  Others who have owned them have told me the same thing.  How does Colt's accuracy hold up when compared to other pistols? 

In my considerable experience with Colt 1911's they are NOT noted for their accuracy out of the box. They shoot fine, and some shoot very accurately, but accuracy is not their strong point. If you want accuracy buy Les Baer, if you want beauty buy Ed Brown, if you want reliability and good accuracy buy Wilson. If you want reasonable accuracy and reliability try Kimber or Springfiend custom shop.  (you asked) ;)

How does Remington rifle's accuracy hold up to other rifle's accuracy? How does Beretta shotguns pattern against others? Not trying to be a smarta** but I am sure most of them will shoot well enough for our sport. As with any product, you can get a bad one. My well used Colt 1911A1 outshoots me. And as it has won a few state championships and placed in the top five of a couple national championships, I'd say its plenty accurate. We aren't shooting a bull's eye sport.

Not trying to be a smarta** but I am sure most of them will shoot well enough for our sport. As with any product, you can get a bad one. My well used Colt 1911A1 outshoots me. And as it has won a few state championships and placed in the top five of a couple national championships, I'd say its plenty accurate. We aren't shooting a bull's eye sport.

You aren't being a smarta** as far as I am concerned.  I want to know about Colt accuracy.  I know this isn't bullseye, but I have found accuracy to be important in action shooting. If the gun is more accurate than the shooter then it is good enough. 

I shot my Ruger 1911 for 3 years in Modern WB. The gun was definitely better than the shooter.

I now shoot a Colt in Traditional and it shoots better than the shooter.

I know folks who win WB with a Les Baer and I know folks who have won WB with a RIA.

As Boggus said, "we aren't shooting Bullseye".

Over 15,000 rounds thru the Ruger with NO problems.

KingSnake

I have an SR1911, 2 Colt 1911s, an Ria and I had a Kimber until my wife appropriated it. They all are very accurate but the trigger on the RIA is atrocious. The Ruger and the Colt gov't model will take about anything you feed them and are not too sensitive about being shot dirty. The RIA is very sensitive about what you feed it. kR

Having done a lot of reading it seems there are a lot of good 1911s out there in the right price range.  Colt is THE name with historic cachet, but Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, STI, Ruger and Remington all have good reputations.  Heck even the inexpensive Rock Island is highly regarded by a lot of shooters.  It would seem that it is kinda hard to go wrong.

I guess I need to decide if cachet of the pony is worth the extra price.  Thanks for all the good comments.

Well, I will finally chime in here.

In a NON custom gun/

There are good and not so good by all manufacturers.

I have seen many thousands of them over the years.

Bottom line if ya don't go crazy with your wallet after the fact of purchase with mods, is this.

A HORSE holds its value better. Like it or not.....

Does not mean others are not as good or perhaps even better.

Its kinda like holding an ace high royal flush poker hand...

Nuff said.

I have never lost a penny on a Colt....tax included.

Your choice on what ya shoot. Pretty much all of them can be jiggled around into a very fine gun. Or not....

Just don't be cheap on your mags..... whole nuther subject right there...

Just sayin.