The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Survey for Mainspring housing

I’ve always shot mine with flat hsgs but after buying an older Thompson AO 1911 with an arched hsg I liked it so now my main match 1911s have arched ones. I also use long or mid length triggers in my 1911s. At 6’4 I have large hands with long fingers. To the op, you might want to also ask about trigger length in your survey as they also play a part in how well or poorly you can operate your 1911.

At 6’4 I have large hands with long fingers. To the op, you might want to also ask about trigger length in your survey as they also play a part in how well or poorly you can operate your 1911.

So let's add in long or short trigger . Also how about large or small hands. I'm think this could be good information for new shooters.

Nawlins

Medium size hands.  Shoot Traditional.

For me, the flat mainspring housing brings sights up on target from draw.  An arched housing puts front sight too high.

And a medium length trigger puts my trigger finger pad properly on the trigger face without reaching for it.

good luck, GJ

Shooting Traditional, I just changed mine out to an arched with a short trigger. I love it.

My brother got a CMP 1911 and this is the setup they came with, I did not know I wanted this setup until I tried it. If you're shooting Traditional, this is how the Army trained and issued pistols.

I read this thread with interest. I had never thought of changing out the mainspring housing with anything different than what can on my Remington R1.

It came with flat straight grooved housing.

After reading some of the thoughts of others I ordered a serrated straight housing to try that out. With the Cool Hand G10 grips that I now use and the new serrated housing, this combination seems to hold my average hand size quite well once I hand is wrapped around the handle of the 1911.

I tried a few rounds yesterday and I liked the feeling of the new combination.

Thanks for all of your comments, they are quite helpful.