The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

NEW 2021 RULES ARE POSTED

The full rules handbook can be found at this link (on the SASS handbooks page):

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASS%20WILD%20BUNCH%20Action%20Shooting%20Handbook%20Vers%2015%203.5.21.pdf

I don't find either the full rules or the summary of changes on the Wild Bunch Rules forum yet, though.  They will probably show up there fairly soon.

A new version of the WB RO manual is here:

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/WB%20RO_Manual%20-%2015%203.16.21.pdf

And the WB match director's guide here:

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/WB%20MD%20Handbook%20-%20Vers%2012%203.5.21.pdf

good luck, GJ

Unable to upload the summary file.  I copied the changes.  Had to copy and paste.  Enjoy.

SUMMARY OF 2021 WILD BUNCH RULE CHANGES

As of March 1, 2021

We have added wording to several the rules to help clarify them.

• 1911 ribs that are legal. Handbook, page 6.

• Holsters – While holsters must be of traditional or military design,

they may depart from the vertical by no more than 30 ̊. Handbook,

page 14.

• The rule on leaving the loading table with a cocked long gun has been

clarified to conform to the cowboy rule. The cocked, empty long gun can be corrected at the firing line before it leaves the shooter’s hands in accordance with the cowboy rules. Remember that in Wild Bunch, long guns are still considered safe when the hammer is in the safety notch. Handbook, page 20 & 21 and RO Manual, page 21.

• While there are distance guidelines for targets, size and quality of

each target will be deciding factors in their placement. As always, Match Directors are encouraged to use a variety or reactive targets.

Match Director’s Handbook, page 2 & 3.

• Female (protected) categories are explained as well as overall

winners. MD Handbook, page 3.

• Wording has been added in two sections to make it clear that 1911

magazines may be loaded at any time, not just at the loading table. • The pocket RO card wording has been corrected to show a Stage DQ

for an empty long gun that slips and falls and breaks the 170 ̊. RULE CHANGES

• Safe condition of the 1911 to leave the shooter’s hands. The

difference before the 1911 was first charged has been eliminated. There is now only one rule. Handbook, page 8.

• Magazine pouches are no longer restricted to two pouches per slide.

All pouches must still conform to the body etc. but a slide may have any number of pouches on it. Handbook, page 14.

• Two new side match suggestions, Teddy Roosevelt and Dough Boy with guidelines have been added. Handbook, page 17

• While Match Directors can run monthly matches in any way they see

fit, the rules state that the Garand is not part of Wild Bunch Action

Shooting. Handbook, page 17

• While it has always been the policy of SASS that any shooter needing

assistance should be accommodated, this has been clarified. Handbook, page 23 & 25.

CLARIFICATIONS

• There have been additional clarification and suggestions on Power

Factor Testing. Match Director’s Handbook, page 8 & 9.

• The scoring of Stage DQs, a Did Not Start (DNS) and Did Not Finish

(DNF) are clarified. Match Director’s Handbook, page 3. • The definition of “overloaded rounds” has been added for clarification. It includes using an additional magazine once you have fired the required number of rounds for the stage. RO Manual, page 26.

• The penalty for laying down the 1911 with a loaded magazine inserted has been clarified as a Stage DQ.

One question....  The RO/MD Handbook and Pocket Reference card have a SDQ listed for "A live round left in an inserted magazine of a 1911 once the gun leaves the shooters hands"  ...as mentioned above...but that penalty does not (seem to) appear in the Stage Disqualification section in the new Shooters Handbook... Have I missed something?  (Wouldn't be the first time)

Thanks for all the work!!!  It truly IS appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Trooper

You scared me for a minute.  I know that there is bound to be something missing but not this time at least.  The penalty to which you are referring, is listed as the last bullet under Stage DQs on page 22 of the Shooters Handbook. 

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to review the manuals.

For anyone that might have missed the synopsis of the 2021 Rule Changes, there is a link at the bottom of the page after the manuals, on this website, under RULES.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks -- thanks for publishing the new rules. I thought I had clarified a question for myself, but now I'm not so sure.

Can the pistol be initially staged on the firing line with hammer down on empty chamber and loaded magazine inserted if written in the stage instructions? I assume this is (still?) OK, but with the elimination of the difference between first charged and not, I'm not so sure.

Page 8: • Safe to leave the shooters hand.Chamber empty of a live round.  Slide may be forward or locked back. Pistol may contain an empty magazine or no magazine.

Page 22:  • A live round left in an inserted magazine of a 1911 once the gun leaves the shooter’s hands. (SDQ)

Page 24:  All handguns initially staged on a horizontal flat surface must be staged with the entire handgun lying flat on the staging surface.

Thanks again.

Yes, CND. The handgun may be staged with hammer down, empty chamber and loaded magazine per stage instructions.

I would also say that would be the case for a new shooter with out leather, possibly borrowing guns. Obviously, all other rules apply, ie; muzzle in a safe direction, flat on the table, etc.

Yes, CND. The handgun may be staged with hammer down, empty chamber and loaded magazine per stage instructions.

I would also say that would be the case for a new shooter with out leather, possibly borrowing guns. Obviously, all other rules apply, ie; muzzle in a safe direction, flat on the table, etc.

Or if the Stage requires the pistol to be staged  in a box/container or something of that nature....  Why yes, I AM evil, thanks for noticing... ;D ;D