The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

WILD BUNCH CATEGORIES

After seeing a number of the State WB applications, I just wanted to remind everyone that as of 2020, Wild Bunch changed their categories to more conform with cowboy.

There are always two WB categories.  They are Traditional and Modern.  They are open to any WB shooter.  Further, there are protected categories: Ladies Traditional and Ladies Modern plus all of these in Senior for 65 and older.

Thanks

Legendary Lawman

Chair, WB ROC

Legendary,

A question of semantics, which I asked the SASS office last month and got the "this is the way we've always done it" answer.  In the protected categories you used "Ladies" Modern and "Ladies" Traditional. The WB Handbook specifically lists the categories as "Lady" Modern and "Lady" Traditional. From an awards perspective the shorter singular is easier to fit on a buckle or an award. But the SASS office uses "Ladies."

Now a rule question. If a female enters in the open modern or traditional category, are they still eligible to win Overall Lady (or as SASS labels it, Ladies Overall)? I assume not, but . . .

Lastly, are you ready for the day when a male says he identifies as a female and enters the Lady categories? I don't need to tell you what Bubba said.  :)

JFN

In response to the question about a Lady winning overall AND Ladies category??  NO, the top shooter entered in the Ladies category of the correct age bracket is the TOP Lady.

As for the issue of adding Senior to WBAS it already dilutes a very small shooter pool. I am opposed to adding any more Official categories.  As we see in CAS there are a number of Unofficial categories such as Outlaw, Josie Wales, etc. If a local area wants to have an unofficial category, doughboy, etc. I have no problem with that.  As we have seen with CAS though over the years even with a much larger shooter pool these Unofficial categories have never really caught on to the extent that they have been proposed as Official ones.

Well, J. Frank, you sure know how to stir things up, don't you. ;D

You have your answer concerning the Top Lady but we will clarify it in the Handbook for next year. 

We will discuss the official category titles but have to keep in mind treating both sexes equally.  Serenity makes sure I am reminded of that!  If we use the term Man Modern, then we can use the term Lady Modern.  Doesn't really sound right does it.

Legendary,

No "Man Modern" doesn't sound right, Modern works just fine. But I think that "Lady Modern" sounds better than "Ladies Modern" and that's why the lady categories are named that way in the Handbook. We use Lady Modern and Lady Traditional because they're already the official category titles.

Since noticing this I have always thought the usage of the plural "Ladies" sounded funky, if not grammatically incorrect. This began several years ago when ordering buckles for the state match. Buckle makers like Molly's have limits on the number of letters that can go any line. The limiting line on wether we could use a buckle design is "Ladies Traditional," seventeen letters. That's when I realized that the official category in the handbook was "Lady Traditional," fifteen letters. Yahoo, two less letters for me to find a line for them to fit on. Since then we have had the four main categories: Modern, Traditional, Lady Modern and Lady Traditional.

I hope you don't change the Handbook on me, getting everything on a buckle is enough of an ordeal as it is.

JFN