The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

"IF" we get to load 7, think of the new sweeps!!

Back 40

I want to be the first to lay claim to this sweep, "IF" we ever get to load 7.    Two targets, dump 3 of the left target and 4 on the right target.  Now you may think that's pretty lame, but, in my state of Illinois, at one time, 3 of our last 4 past governors have spent time in prison.  Thus, the Illinois Governors sweep!

What say you sweepsters? 

That was really funny Joe  ;D I lived in Ill (Chicago) the first 31 years of my life, it would have been funny then and its really funny now! 

Hopefully the WB Ambassadors listen to the masses and adopt the 7 in the mag, if they do that sweep of yours will be number 1 in my book of stages.  ;)

See ya

Blaze, the WBAS Committee would make this call not the Ambassadors.

JFN

• 1 month later...

Yep, I like yours better Joe.    Let's go with Illinois Governors Sweep,    5 targets set up like this.       

3

1  1  1  1

The Nasty Sweep. 6 targets.

1-2-3-4-5-6

2-3-4-5-6

3-4-5-6

4-5-6

5-6

21 rounds

Probably called something else but it's what we call it.

A true regressive sweep.

The progressive would be:

1-2

1-2-3

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-4-5

1-2-3-4-5-6

And it's opposite!

1-2-3-4-5-6

1-2-3-4-5

1-2-3-4

1-2-3

1-2

Now keep those straight in your mind from one stage to the next!

I don't care either way. I think you all are over estimating the surge in "new" shooters that WB will experience due to being able to load seven in a mag. A lot of the places I have shot WB has shooters that cannot keep track of five rounds shot, imagine what they will be able to do with seven. I have shot monthly shoots all the way up to EOT. I think it is going to be a mess for the silent majority in this game.

kR

I don't care either way. I think you all are over estimating the surge in "new" shooters that WB will experience due to being able to load seven in a mag. A lot of the places I have shot WB has shooters that cannot keep track of five rounds shot, imagine what they will be able to do with seven. I have shot monthly shoots all the way up to EOT. I think it is going to be a mess for the silent majority in this game.

kR

My thoughts exactly. Why are we changing things in the "hopes" of attracting new shooters. They will just find another reason to not shoot WB. What's next? 38's? 9mm?

Next excuses for not shooting WB - I need to shoot my .38 special rifle and light loads. 

And Reduce PF to 100 because the 1911 hurts my hands, and I have a 45 GAP or 9mm I want to shoot.  Which, by the way, is a Glock striker plastic piece.

I predict we will also have puzzles trying to figure out fairly simple sweeps and sequences  in enough variety to not get boring, and still not  be interrupting sequences - "when you get to 14 shots, stop" instead of getting to the end of a bank of targets. 

Would someone like to publish a list of the sequences they believe work smoothly with 7-shot mag changes so all the match directors don't have to ALL start reinventing the sweep universe from scratch?  Now's the time for local clubs to be testing and developing some, so we don't get to WR and find a nightmare of strange patterns.

As this thread's title says, and it's no longer a joke - now it's a directive and homework assignment - Think of the new sweeps

I'll start you on this journey with a couple of easy principles:

Four targets in a bank - that lets a continuous Nevada sweep work well.    1-2-3-4-3-2-1  is a magazine full.  Single, double, triple taps if you want.

Three targets in a bank - a two-reverse continuous Nevada sweep    1-2-3-2-1-2-3  is a magazine full.  Add multiple taps as well.

Five targets don't work well for a Nevada sweep until you are willing to shoot 35 shots at that one set of 5 targets.  (At least as far as my thinking has gone.)

What have you folks figured out?

I'll start you on this journey with a couple of easy principles:

Four targets in a bank - that lets a continuous Nevada sweep work well.    1-2-3-4-3-2-1  is a magazine full.  Single, double, triple taps if you want.

Three targets in a bank - a two-reverse continuous Nevada sweep    1-2-3-2-1-2-3  is a magazine full.  Add multiple taps as well.

Five targets don't work well for a Nevada sweep until you are willing to shoot 35 shots at that one set of 5 targets.  (At least as far as my thinking has gone.)

What have you folks figured out?

GJ, thanks for sharing that.  Might have taken me a decade to figure it out on my own!  How do you think about the rifle when working with seven pistol shots per magazine?  One rule I've always had for myself it to not write stages with any 'glaring' p-traps.  One principle I've tried to adhere to is making rifle and pistol sequences 'logically' parallel, the same, or at least similar.  So, since seven is not a factor of 10, what are some good ways to think about rifle strings in this new environment?  Thanks for any insight.

A.W.

P.S. was going to add a wise-crack about not loading the rifle to maximum capacity but thought better of it....

AW, it's not a wise crack to down load the rifle. Really you could have stages calling for 7 or 5 rounds.

Here is a thought, shoot the rifle less but increase the range of the rifle to actually be shooting at rifle targets instead of using the rifle as extra auxiliary pistol rounds.  ;D Dusty

2nd the motion.  Move the rifle targets further out.  Beyond 25 yards, up to 50 yards!

kR

My thoughts exactly. Why are we changing things in the "hopes" of attracting new shooters. They will just find another reason to not shoot WB. What's next? 38's? 9mm?

Finally!  It won't be CAS w/a 1911!  I've advocated for the 7 round per mag from the beginning.  It won't affect how often I'll be shooting, the work schedule takes care of that.  But it certainly gives me an incentive to get up early and make the 2 hour drive in bad weather after draggin' my carcass home @ 2am the nite before!