The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Targets at Wintr Range wB match

evilroy

This year will be similar to last year but with less pistol shots.  We responded to many who had said they wanted lots of pistol last year but they did not mean it I guess.  The stages will be mostly 20 pistol shots per stage but there might be a stage or two with more so bring enough mags.  Be prepared to shoot some smaller targets as well as the standard WR targets.  There will be hostage and dueling trees as always so sight in your guns and practice some smaller targets.  We will as usual shoot the rifle targets with pistol as well.  Sign up if you have not.  They are pretty sure the match will sell out.

I still need more help with the side matches.

ER, thanks for the info on the targets.  Since this will be the first time for myself and two other pards, we greatly appreciate the updates.  Question:  on the dueling tree, how big are the targets and how far will they be engaged?  Also, will the shotgun knockdowns go down with light loads?  Thanks in advance!

Not Evil Roy, Back 40, but i believe those dueling tree targets are 6" diameter and will be anywhere from 10-25 yards. There has not been a target you could not hit. But you better have your gun sighted. The shotgun targets have all fell before to  Winchester AA Low Noise/Low Recoil loads. I am sure this year will not be any different. 

This year will be similar to last year but with less pistol shots.  We responded to many who had said they wanted lots of pistol last year but they did not mean it I guess.

I still need more help with the side matches.

Well, that is a shame.  Last year's stages were really fun.  Lots of pistol and the targets weren't in a line.  For once I didn't feel I was shooting Cowboy with a 1911.  No remarks from the easily offended, I just felt it was a really good match.

JFN

Pretty much what Bogus said.  Shotgun targets usually same distance as for the CAS match. The Hostage and Dueling Tree are 6 inch and are usually shot with the pistol at no more than 10 yards with the rifle further out.  We usually have no complicated orders to shoot.  Last year a Nevada sweep was the most difficult sweep. The most difficult thing last year was the cluster of targets and keeping track of where you were with pistol mag changes.  We have to use most of the targets for the CAS match so the changeover from WB to CAS is short and sweet.  The hard targets are the rifle targets with the pistol and the few smaller targets we add such as the Dueling Tree.

I'll tell you the secret to doing well.  Go real fast and hit all the targets. 

Back 40.  I tried to answer your email but was blocked. We do not publish the stages before the match as it is Winter Range policy not to do so.  I would not worry about the stages are they are very straight forward.  Most local matches are more difficult.  Exact target placement is not decided until they are set up for the match so you will be seeing them about the same time as the rest of us.  The real secret to doing well in simply hitting the targets as fast as you can as in any match.  It is easier to miss in a WB match as the targets are smaller and/or further out.