The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

BAMM rifle question

I have two questions.

First, I have a Swedish Mauser and the end of the barrel is threaded. To protect the threads I purchased a flash hider.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1648

Is this legal? It's not a brake and is more of a cosmetic thing to me. I just need some clarification on this for future reference.

Second question, is there a better sling out there for these guns?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ck, I would say the flash hider is not legal as it was never on one in the military at any time. Why don't you just get the knurled nut that came on them and that would be correct , look sharper and I bet more pleasant for the other BAMM shooters by not throwing muzzle blast out sideways. Mauser slings are all pretty much the same.......Dusty Boddams

I've got a Hunter Leather Whelen 1" sling on my Swede.  Looks about right, and is very adjustable, as compared to the original Mauser slings, which were closer to carrying straps than to a good sling.

Takes a little study to get it rigged the first time. 

http://www.huntercompany.com/HunterCatalog/files/assets/basic-html/page32.html

Model 220.

And if you want the hooks for adjustment rather than laces, the Model 200 in 1" width will give you a good sling, too.

Good luck, GJ

so slings are legal on BAMM rifles? I guess it would be up to each Match Director as so far SASS is not meddling in to BAMM shooting far as I know.

And slings are still illegal on main match leverguns and shotguns are they not?

Slings are now allowed on long guns in SASS CAS.

No such allowance has been made in SASS WBAS in the latest rule book that I could see.

it stays ready. Has a nice sling and I plan to wrap it and shoot off my hind legs like I always do. Fast and furious battle style. None of that sittin' bench restin' business.

The Krag has yet to be fired but I have some legal all lead ammo for it. I know the hopper mag is slower than the stripper clip reloadable rifles but it ain't like I am in any kind of the runnin' anyhoo's.

Cain't hardly wait...

Best and cheapest if the current crop of 24/47 mausers or m48 which is the exact same rifle minus an arsenal rebuild. Mosins in carbine and rifle are good solid guns. Stepping up 03 and 03a3's . Main thing is condition. Don't buy junk,go get one with the best bore to be found load lead and go BAMM.

I believe I would, should someone show up with a Yugo M48, have to say that that was not a WW II rifle, and thus would not be eligible under our current BAMM rules.  Those variations on the Mauser design of the M24 Yugo were designed in '48 and all built starting with 1948.  Thus, unfortunately, not in rules compliance. 

However, the Yugo 24/47 makes a very nice BAMM rifle.  That was a Model 24 rifle, rebarreled and refurbished in Yugo arsenals from 1947 forward.  Prvi Partisan makes ammo in 8x57 and sometimes other ammo and brass manufacturers turn out a little. 

The K31 (Swiss) also is a good BAMM rifle.  Several specimens have been circulating through gun shops recently.

And the Swedish M96 Mauser and later variations are very nice and in good shape, usually.  Although their chambering (6.5x55 "Swede") is a little more of a challenge to shoot cast bullets through, as it needs a very long bullet to fill the throat.  And brass is even harder to run down.

Good luck, GJ

WBT -

Thanks, I never look at Cabela's web site, so I might have to peek at it.  Normally way over my price-value range, and no local store to go pick it up at.

GJ

PS: Oh, I see they have bulk PPU 6.5x55 brass in stock, too.  Less than $60 a hundred.  That might just be worth paying shipping for.  I normally buy more than just 20 at a time....

OH, they've got bulk Nosler brass too in stock now.  Now we're talking. 

Thanks, GJ

I believe I would, should someone show up with a Yugo M48, have to say that that was not a WW II rifle, and thus would not be eligible under our current BAMM rules.  Those variations on the Mauser design of the M24 Yugo were designed in '48 and all built starting with 1948.  Thus, unfortunately, not in rules compliance. 

However, the Yugo 24/47 makes a very nice BAMM rifle.  That was a Model 24 rifle, rebarreled and refurbished in Yugo arsenals from 1947 forward.  Prvi Partisan makes ammo in 8x57 and sometimes other ammo and brass manufacturers turn out a little. 

The K31 (Swiss) also is a good BAMM rifle.  Several specimens have been circulating through gun shops recently.

And the Swedish M96 Mauser and later variations are very nice and in good shape, usually.  Although their chambering (6.5x55 "Swede") is a little more of a challenge to shoot cast bullets through, as it needs a very long bullet to fill the throat.  And brass is even harder to run down.

Good luck, GJ

Gj,  what's got to be remembered is the mod 48 was built new at the exact same time the 24/47 were going thru refurbishment on the same equipment the exact same rifle as the 24/47 actually there are washed model 48's that have a lot of the same exact pre ww2 parts on them due to parts clean up running around that could not be told as different from the 24/47. To put it another way k31 would have to be dated to ww2 as well as several other rifles,"national ordance " anyone. The 48 is 100 percent ww2 correct.

Ummmm. Heartburn time.

BOLT ACTION MILITARY MATCH

The rifle must be an original caliber bolt-action rifle issued by any country to its

military forces through the end of WWII. It must be as issued with original iron

battle sights and NO external modifications. Internal modifications are allowed.

Faithful reproductions are allowed.

page 17, WB Shooter's Handbook

The Model 48 Yugo was never issued to military forces of any country through the end of WW II.  Are you claiming the Yugo 48 qualifies because it is a "faithful reproduction" of the Model 24?  It sure is not marked as such.  And, comparing my 48 with a 24/47, there are lots of little things, and some big things, different between them.

I don't follow your line of reasoning. 

Good luck, GJ

How could it not be a faithful reproduction? Made on the very equipment that the 24/47 were refurbed on? I'm sorry but I don't get your reasoning for making it illegal. The differences are minut to say the least. Are you REALLY going to tell someone with a m48 in 8mm that they can't shoot with you when there 48 looks just like your 24/47, REALLY!?

Believe some serious thinking is needed here.  Either rules mean what they say, or you can have a bunch of hidden decisions behind them with loopholes. 

I think it's time WB rules really mean what they say.  Then, if they say the wrong things, correct the rules. 

Please don't clog up the rules with unwritten exceptions, that require folks to have intimate knowledge of now- defunct factories in a communist country, and how they either reworked or built new rifles almost 70 years ago. 

Keep it straight forward, and let the rules mean what they say.  I'd rather not have WB handbook a clutter like Cowboy rules have become. 

Good luck, GJ

Not clogging up anything joe. So if that doesn't fall under at the very least a" faithful reproduction" then what does? Do you really want to take BAMM into the rule nazi category and make sure that every rifle is pre end of ww2? Are we a 100 percent historical accuracy group or are we shooters? Where do you want to draw the line ? A German mauser competitor shows up with argentine accouterments you don't let him shoot cause he is not 100 percent. A shooter shows up with a 1951 dated garand belt with his 1903 Springfield? I'm not requiring you to have intimate knowledge of anything that is my point.how far do you want to split hairs? Also if you don't have that knowledge then how are you going to properly inspect each and everyone of these rifles that you want to keep out?