The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Trigger Finger Not Outside Trigger Guard ...

John Boy

WB RO Aug 2014 – pg 19

Minor Safety Penalties

• Failure to have the trigger finger outside the trigger guard while moving.

• Failure to have the trigger finger outside the trigger guard while reloading.

• Failure to have the trigger finger outside the trigger guard when clearing a malfunction.

STAGE DISQUALIFICATION

• Unsafe firearm handling.

• Failure to have the trigger finger outside the trigger guard : moving, reloading, clear malfunction are Unsafe Firearm Handling

Why a MSV and not a  SDQ?

There was long and frequent discussion about the "trigger finger" rule in WBAS. As you know in CAS moving, reloading and clearing malfunctioning firearms WITH you trigger finger in the trigger guard is a No Call. It is a SDQ or MDQ in all other shooting sports. We decided to "split the difference" in WBAS. It is still the most frequent violation we see during a match. That is the reason for the "Finger" warning we give the first time at a match.

• 1 month later...

HI Gang; We are not using a gun that needs to be manually cocked to fire. So we have to have a higher level of awareness of our auctions.

That makes sense to me and I have no problem with a penalty for having the finger inside the trigger guard.

However, I believe people try to conform to the rules. I try to follow all rules equally. Having MDQ for the finger in the trigger guard would not make me more likely to follow that rule than would a MSV. If the penalty is changed to a MDQ it would not affect my actions or participation.

Regards,

Allie

Could well be that allowing "finger in the trigger guard" is a root cause of some east Texas clubs going to the additionally very silly, local "plant and then poke" rule to prevent the ADs that were occurring with non-hammered double-barrel shotguns.

If folks maintained good trigger discipline, no ADs could occur while moving.

Good luck, GJ

Could well be that allowing "finger in the trigger guard" is a root cause of some east Texas clubs going to the additionally very silly, local "plant and then poke" rule to prevent the ADs that were occurring with non-hammered double-barrel shotguns.

If folks maintained good trigger discipline, no ADs could occur while moving.

Good luck, GJ

I don't think even that would justify the "plant and poke" rule. 

Blackfoot :o