The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Model 12

kid ziggy

Mod 12s are considerably improved in the internals.  Better lockup, better shell control while feeding, better ejection.  Weaker firing pin, more complex takedown if completely tearing it apart.    The Mod 12 is normally much smoother.

I have shot both.  Have actually gone back to the 97, and Chinese guns at that, because I can run them faster without the occasional hangup.  Once you have learnt to run a 97 "like you stole it," it's hard to go back to the smooth finesse that a Model 12 seems to want.

A Model 12 is no more a hammerless 97 than a 707 was a propless DC3.    Both were great airplanes and both are great shotguns!

Good luck, GJ

" the finest pump ever built"

Dusty when the Winchester Pederson Model 17 patent expired ... Ithaca Gun Works cloned an improved Model 12 - the Ithaca 37.  My good friend - IMO that pump gun is the finest action and smoothest ever built.

Following the First World War, the Ithaca Gun Company was searching for a pump-action shotgun to produce, primarily to compete with the ubiquitous Winchester Model 1912. They settled on waiting for Remington Model 17 patents to expire. After gearing for production of the Ithaca Model 33, they discovered a Pedersen patent that would not expire until 1937; along with the introduction date, they changed the model designation from 33 to 37.

After WW-II, Ithaca resumed production of the Model 37. Made in many different models, the Ithaca 37 has the longest production run for a pump-action shotgun in history, surpassing that of the Winchester Model 12 that had originally inspired Ithaca to produce pump-action shotguns.

I have 4 Model 12s and intend to keep acquiring them even tho I despise all the balky things equally.

One was slicked by a famous smith and it is no better than the other 3. I find them contrary to say the least. Oh I will continue to play with them at local matches...

But when I go to the line at a big match one of my dozen or so original or half dozen Norinco 97s will be accompanying me.

Besides with the 97 you don't have to worry about showing the state of the trigger to the TO or sticking a bar towel or bandana in the trigger guard to remind yourowndangself to do so.

In my eyes the 97 is the greatest pump of all time. The M12 can never be any more than a distant second place...

;D ;D  ;D LD, you scared me for a minute , I thought you said you stuck a banana in it!  Well now having 18 model 97s should be enough. That should equal out to 6 going to the big match. (Assuming  a 12 stage match) 5 at the gunsmith getting them worked on. 4 for parts to keep the others running. 2 safe queens and 1 to prop the hood open on your pickup while you're work'n on it!  Dusty

LPL's 97 and the model 12 have been both slicked up and both run very good.  My SASS category is Classic Cowboy so shooting them Thar pumpers is not natural to me. I have tendency to jack out a live round  occasionally  from either gun . The hard part is I have to try to  remember when I do jack one out not to grab two rounds and try to cock the hammers.  ::)

Nawlins

Seeing more Model 12s being used.  So ... these are 97s with an internal hammer?  Those of you who prefer the Model 12 to the 97 - why so?

Smoother, more reliable, easier and less expensive to maintain and less expensive to purchase.  Next to the venerable 870, the M1912 may be the best pump shotgun ever.

;D ;D  ;D LD, you scared me for a minute , I thought you said you stuck a banana in it!  Well now having 18 model 97s should be enough. That should equal out to 6 going to the big match. (Assuming  a 12 stage match) 5 at the gunsmith getting them worked on. 4 for parts to keep the others running. 2 safe queens and 1 to prop the hood open on your pickup while you're work'n on it!  Dusty

Har! Well only about 3 or 4 mebbe 5 of the originals are running at this time. One that is not is a 16 gauge take down that someone welded into a solid that is ineligible to play WB anyway. After my first 3 years in CAS 1996 to 99 I switched to the 97 and began accumulating the fool things. Shot the trombones for a decade or so and went back to the double. Then WBAS came along and the ole junkers got to come back out to play. 4 years ago at the first TX state WB champeenship my prize chinee trench gun locked up solid on stage one. 6 misses and then the 45C 73 did the same on stage two for oh about 7 or 8 more misses cementing my hold on last place. One shooter didn't show Sunday boosting me in to next to last. Sent the trench to Squibber who declared it a parts gun only. Down to one chink 97 and one mebbe two 93/97s that might run. I will never buy another Chinese pump. The originals have contributed mightily to my gunsmith's retirement fund and must needs continue to do so forever. Just the nature of the beast and the way it is out west...

• 2 weeks later...