The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Slings

OK, I understand that slings are prohibited on main match rifles and shotguns, but what about on BAMM and Doughboy riflesJ  Certainly slings are part of the original equipment on those rifles and they don't present the safety hazard of bayonets (banned in the same sentence.) Is there a reason for the sling ban on bolt action side match rifles, or it just a carryover legacy of the main match rules?

Doc sends.

Kind of creates an ambiguity since I can think of one case (receiver mounted sights) where they are disallowed in the main match, but specifically called out as allowed in TR. 

OK, I'm a @#$%^& lawyer (retired) so I can be a bit pedantic.  Occupational hazard.

Thanks for the clarification.

Doc sends.

Never understood the prohibition of slings on main match rifles. The Winchester 1866 and 1873 were offered by Winchester to buyers in whatever bbl and stock configuration they wanted including military length bbls, buttstocks and forestocks. Imo military configured ‘66 and ‘73 muskets should be allowed to wear a sling, if for no other reason than for the look. They don’t do anything to give the shooter an advantage and in fact might be a disadvantage as added weight and a potential snag point.

Never understood the prohibition of slings on main match rifles. The Winchester 1866 and 1873 were offered by Winchester to buyers in whatever bbl and stock configuration they wanted including military length bbls, buttstocks and forestocks. Imo military configured ‘66 and ‘73 muskets should be allowed to wear a sling, if for no other reason than for the look. They don’t do anything to give the shooter an advantage and in fact might be a disadvantage as added weight and a potential snag point.

You answered your own question. Imagine that sling snagging on something jerking the rifle out of your hands. Possibly sweeping someone with a potential loaded firearm.

You do make a valid point however I have seen several high speed low drag shooters go down due to the slick soled cowboy boots that we are supposed to wear, I’ve seen a revolver get drawn and the bbl catch the overhang of a saloon bar prop, leave the shooters hand and land on the bar. Don’t think sass is doing away with boots or props because they are unsafe. I would also add that the guy who chooses to compete with a ‘66 or ‘73 musket with their 26 or 30 inch bbls is NOT the high speed gamer with their short bbled, short stroked .38 and is shooting for the pure fun that cas is. Besides how often does anyone actually move with a rifle in hand. It’s staged, shot and restaged 99% of the time. Really don’t see a problem.

Doc,  per your question on slings.  Clarified with the ROC.  The current rules stand.  Slings are not authorized on main match guns for SASS sanctioned matches.  They are authorized for SASS sanctioned side matches.  Doughboy, Teddy Roosevelt, and BAMM are currently considered side matches for sanctioned events.

EJ