The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

1911 disassembly jam

Equanimous Phil

Howdy everyone!

I am swiss CAS shooter and our club intends to start a bit with Wild Bunch shooting for fun  :)

For beeing able shooting traditional style, I bought the 1911A1 from Auto Ordnance which has a series 80s style firing pin block. It's my first 1911. The gun is NEW. After buying I disassembled, cleaned and oiled it. Then I shot a box of 50 rounds, and cleaned and oiled it again. Unfortunately, after the next 40 rounds the front sight came off, but that's not why I am posting.

At home, I tried to disassemble it, removing recoil spring and cap, and slide release bolt as usual. But then, I was unable to move the slide forward to take it off. I racked it a couple of times, but still not possible to take it off forwards. I removed the barrel bushing which didn't help. While trying, the slide got stuck now about 1 mm forward from the normal position. It's still very very slightly movable. I can see the barrel chain link moving when turning the gun, so I assume it's not the problem. What else could it be? Extractor? Something from the firing pin blocking parts? And most important: what can I do? Though I will show the gun to my pards at the weekend who are experienced with 1911s, I'm just wondering what I messed up... And I probably have to take the pistol to the gun shop anyway, because of the missing front sight which I hope to be covered by warranty.

Equanimous Phil

Does the guide rod move freely? Put your recoil spring back in an it can help center the guide rod. Otherwise, disassemble lower end and remove the S80 levers as they could be sticking. Make sure you’re not pulling the trigger as you try to remove the slide. If so, you could be pushing those levers up into the slide.

Thank you for the inputs!  :)

Does the guide rod move freely? Put your recoil spring back in an it can help center the guide rod.

I've tried that and had a look with a flash light, but I'll try again when I'm home from work.

Otherwise, disassemble lower end and remove the S80 levers as they could be sticking.

Can I disasseble it with the slide on? I'll have a look.

Make sure you’re not pulling the trigger as you try to remove the slide. If so, you could be pushing those levers up into the slide.

Well....  it probably already happend (a couple of times) while fumbling the gun...

Magazine out?

Yes, had it cleared.

Hi, YouTube is your friend 

Regards, Mike

Thanks for the link. It's a good video. I think I stumpled across that one when I disassembled it for the first time. I did it just 3-4 times so far, but never had this issue.

To avoid any (or more) damage, I maybe wait 'til Saturday to meet my CAS pards at the range.

I'll keep you updated.

Equanimous

So, last Friday I took the pistol out of the safe again

Does the guide rod move freely?

This!  I double checked the guide rod and indeed it was the part blocking the slide. Problem solved  ;D

Now, I have to contact the gun shop because of the missing front sight which should be a warranty issue.

Equanimous Phil

No question, from a technical view, a dovetail would be the way to go!

But for me, one fascinating part of our cowboy games is that we use gun models that were developed and used back then, with all their issues and flaws. If you improve and altere every detail of  those old models, you would have a modern gun at the end. Of course, all of my cowboy guns have such improvements, like better steel, better springs etc. I've chosen the Auto-Ordnance 1911 because it's quite a close (and affordable) replica of the military A1 (besides the firing pin block). Despite dovetail front sights would be explicitely allowed by the handbook, it wouldn't look right to me somehow...

If they repair it at no charge I can still have it dovetailed later if it happens again.

Equanimous

Hi, I have several 1911's including 1911A1's and never had a problem losing the front sight. I would lay the blame with the manufacturer. I have had problems in the past with improperly staked grip screws, etc. or improperly installed parts with some lesser commercial builders. YMMV,  but I like the idea of the dovetail if you need it, regards, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

A properly staked on GI front sight should not come loose. My trusty old heinz WB 1911 has a WW1 slide with, I’m pretty sure, its original front sight [GI parts, HS bbl but an Essex frame]. I shoot duelist. Glad you figured out what was locking your pistol up Phil. I compete from a cinematic/ historic standpoint than a competition one.

‘Give/em hell, Pike!’