The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Holster cartridge loops and single round reloads.

trooper

I feel I shouldn't have to ask but - a stupid question IS better than a stupid mistake....

Can a holster have ammo loops on it and may they be used?    (The relevant section of the rules includes "holster" as one of the legit ways of carrying "loose ammunition" so I am assuming...yes?) 

And ...I WAS sure there was a prohibition on loading a single LOOSE round into the 1911... but I can't find that anywhere so am doubting myself now!!!

Thanks in advance!

No prohibition on loading a loose round into 1911, but it's fairly slow to do (compared to slamming in a mag) and very likely to end up breaking the extractor tip off.

OK to put an ammo loop or several on holster.  But I just always carry an extra mag (or stage 'em) if there is ANY chance of needing it.  So much more useful and quicker with the rounds already in a mag!

Here's the rule citation about the holster as a legal place to put loops to carry reloads:

Loose ammunition (i.e., ammunition not in magazines) required for reloads during

the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person in a bandoleer,

cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged.

Page 14, WB Shooter Handbook

Good luck, GJ

Trooper,

There used to be a probation on loading a loose round in the pistol. It was removed a couple years ago by the Rules Committee as an unnecessary penalty. (They are doing a great job BTW!)

The Mernickle rig used to have ACP loops on it. That is a waste of space unless you have a rifle converted to ACP and I can't think of a good reason to add them.

There is a good reason to not load a single round in your 1911 or any other semi-auto pistol. When the slide strips the round off the magazine the rim of the round slides under the extractor as it enters the chamber. With a single round, the extractor is forced over the rim of the already chambered round. It breaks pieces off the edge that grabs the rim and eventually will not extract.

JFN

this was a question from a local leather maker who had been asked to make a holster with loops on it

The best advice to the holster maker is to push the customer not to encumber his holster with loops!  Offer to make him a belt slide that can then be used for rifle (very handy), and count on magazines to do pistol reloads!

There's a valuable acronym for this condition in the shooter's mind -    YAGNI    You Ain't Gonna Need It!

This isn't a cowboy shoot where you will need to single load a round into your revolver.

Good luck, GJ