The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Legal Holsters

There was a post in a Facebook group asking about the legality of an older holster apparently intended for IPSC “back in the day”.  I am always amazed at the willingness of uninformed people to provide advice.  Anyhow, there were a couple of features on this particular holster that are not specifically addressed in the Handbook:

1.  The holster had a metal liner (presumably sandwiched between layers of leather);

2.  The holster was a drop loop design (I would not have thought this was illegal) and the gunbelt was equipped with two metal hooks that attach to a belt worn higher.

We may never see this particular belt and holster at a match but lined holsters, mag pouches and belts are not uncommon so I’d like to know whether an internal liner runs afoul of the requirement that holsters and magazine pouches be made from canvas or leather.

The rule also says that holsters and mad pouches “must be of traditional or military design”.  I’m not sure exactly where the edges are, especially in regard to the modifier “traditional”.  If a WB holster is otherwise legal in regards material and coverage, I’ve not questioned it.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

1 My Mernickle cowboy holsters are fully metal lined.

2 Isn't the US Calvary 1911 holster "Pershing model" a drop design? Especially if you use the hanger.

The holster in question is the same holster that former rules committee member Crazy Kurt shot with before he quit shooting Wild Bunch.

As for the hangers, I'd throw them away. But I have seen a couple "buttless" cowboy shooters use them. I guess it would depend on your shape.

JFN

My current Wild Bunch holster is a Mernickle, and I am pretty sure it has a steel stiffener sheet between inner and outer layers of leather. 

My understanding of a "metal lined" piece of gun leather is that metal is the contact surface with the gun or magazine.  Stiffeners don't qualify as a metal lining.

I have in the past used a true drop loop 1911 holster by Black Hills Leather.  It was never questioned.  At least one model of the early 1911 service holsters carried the 1911 below belt level (Model 1916).  Rules do not disqualify a drop loop as far as I found.  I'd expect it would be fine.

I do agree that the criteria "traditional or military design" is pretty hard to use at matches to disqualify WB equipment.

Good luck, GJ

No question that metal lined holsters are legal for cowboy shooting but the CAS rules don’t say that holsters must be made of leather or canvas.  For my part I’d consider a leather holster with an internal (not visible) liner of another material to be legal.

One of the Facebook comments was that a drop holster was not legal for Wild Bunch.  I disagree with that statement.

HI Gang; I have a Mernickle holster and a old IPSC holster designed to fit on the pants belt. They both cover the 1911 the same, same size, same shape. So no issues for WB. Davis leather company 1145. It looks like a twin for the Mernickle just without the leather strap across the middle. The 1911 has not changed shape so neither has many leather holsters. Besides I bought it at the club gun show for 10 bucks. :)

Hi Abe

I am not on Facebook and do not have a photo of the holster in question.  However, the fact that it is lined (assuming the steel lining does not show) or the fact that it is dropped do not make the holster illegal for Wild Bunch.

If you wanted an absolute ruling on a particular holster, we would have to see a good photo.  A holster would not be outlawed based solely on a hidden liner or the fact that it was dropped.  However, if it was TOO extreme based on the very general criteria of traditional or military it could be considered illegal.  For that it would have to be something unusual.

Without a picture, that is as definitive as I can get.

Never believe Facebook!!!!