The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

cocked and locked

mortman

Cold range goes for any shooting sport with which I am familiar.

So What?

In every other shooting sport (except Steel Challenge),  the shooter comes to the line cold.  At the Make Ready command: the shooter loads chamber, engages safety and reholsters ready for the Stand By command.

Is this too difficult for Wild Bunch shooters?  Are they too unfit to do this?

Just asking.

Well...actually, no you didn't state why the rule is there.

Your answer fails by all logical analysis. You didn't answer the question.

Of course it's a cold range.  We don't start cold.  We start at the ready.  Why isn't cocked and locked allowed as a ready condition?

I don't know, I only ask the question.

Want to take another crack at it?  :)

Well...actually, no you didn't state why the rule is there.

Your answer fails by all logical analysis. You didn't answer the question.

Of course it's a cold range.  We don't start cold.  We start at the ready.  Why isn't cocked and locked allowed as a ready condition?

I don't know, I only ask the question.

Want to take another crack at it?  :)

I answered the question. It is the rule as of today. Tomorrow it may not be the rule but today it is. I cannot tell you why it IS the rule because I was not part of the group that made the rules. If you don't like the rule, don't play the game or work to change the rule.

The ownership of the Single Action Shooting Society has mandated that we do not come to the firing line with a live round in the chamber of a pistol. Those of us who are involved with writing the rules for the sport have to operate under those mandates. I and many others involved have been participating in other action pistol disciplines for many years. Different sports, different rules.

As a WB shooter who is also a very keen IPSC shooter I wouldn't mind starting in "Condition 1"...    but... like Last Chance I don't think it would make much difference to WB

I don't know what other pistol events the OP shoots, but it is QUITE common at big IPSC (and USPSA) matches to have Israeli start stages, and even Unloaded start stages...(does that make them "retarded" too?).and the RO only ever says "Make Ready" if it is in fact an unloaded start... in IPSC and USPSA it is "LOAD and make ready" every other time...just sayin…

The BIG improvements in my view have been the changes to "Slide forward" penalties and allowing tactical reloads.....YMMV of course....

• 2 weeks later...

The ownership of the Single Action Shooting Society has mandated that we do not come to the firing line with a live round in the chamber of a pistol. Those of us who are involved with writing the rules for the sport have to operate under those mandates. I and many others involved have been participating in other action pistol disciplines for many years. Different sports, different rules.

well said, it is a rule set and passed by professionals no two ways about it.. going in cocked and locked gives one certain foreign thrill unmatched but for the meantime that is one thing will have to do without.

Okay, so when can we go cocked and locked just like every other shooting sport?  Or are cowboys considered too retarded for this?
When you're driving into the range, but before you exit your vehicle.  Yes, but military and former military adherents to the 1911 have been taught that method of carry and are quite comfortable with it... no need for braggadocio.

Well it took some looking but considering WB time period the small arms military manual of 1913 stated if the pistol is to be carried in holster hammer must be down.

LV,

Where did you find the manual? I have looked. Is it on the internet?

Since JMB originally designed the pistol to be carried hammer down on an empty chamber, is there any mention of hammer down on a chambered round?

JFN