The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Grips

red cent

The mag release question prompts the question about thinning or buying certain grips that allow the thumb better "reach". I have read the rule book a couple of times and the only thing addressed are the wrap around grips, target grips, and thumb rest grips. It would seem that relieving that area is OK.

Red Cent: This IS NOT aimed at you, but since you brought it up it may be time to restate the "Spirit of the Game" as it pertains to Wild Bunch Action Shooting for the membership as a whole:

Wild Bunch is NOT Cowboy Action shooting. Many CAS shooters have the attitude that "It doesn't clearly say I can't, so I can".  In Wild Bunch the position is: "If it doesn't clearly say that I can, I can't". If you always approach WBAS with that attitude you will have no problems. If that attitude doesn't fit your mindset maybe WBAS isn't for you.

There are over 1000 aftermarket parts for the 1911 in the Brownells catalog alone. We are NOT going to write rules about everyone. If the part is outside the "Spirit" of the rule it is illegal. The same goes for long guns and leather goods.

Questions about specific items that may be in a "gray area" can be asked on the rules forum and will be answered by me after consultation with the other members of the Committee. Obvious questions will probably be answered by many others before I even get to it.

Happy Jack, I have competed in SASS for over 14 years. And I competed in WB side matches 10 years ago. SASS and WB will never settle the don't ask statement. The other day on the SASS wire, rumor had it that they were going to rule a certain shotgun belt illegal. Illegal after 10 years of use by many on the East coast and beyond. Recently, a shotgun belt was presented to the RO committee that I would never had thought to be legal and it was approved.

During the fracas someone stated that all "stuff" should be presented to the RO committee for approval before someone starts mass manufacturing. I put that close to the front of my note book titled Some of the Dumbest Statements.

Some may know I started making rigs and, being an A personality, I continue the search for THE holster. A person or two has stated that my recent holster is not "correct". As an analogy of the grips, the holster rule is so loose as to allow almost anything that doesn't lose the gun. Subjective? Sure it is. 

I have never argued a call on me in all my years competing in SASS or Wild Bunch. I accept the human factor for what it is. Fallible.

I am a gamer. I never intentionally go beyond the rule, much less the "spirit of the game". But if someone calls a spirit of the game penalty on me, they are blatantly biased. Or I had a hell of a Elder Statesman Moment.