The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Firing extra rounds.

vaquero

I think I posted this question in the wrong place.  First, I am a new shooter, only shot my 3rd. match, but I have a question.  A shooter shoots his shotgun, goes to the pistol, the stage requires, 1 shot on #1 target, 1 shot on #2 target, and 3 shots on #3 target, a reload, and complete the sequence again.  My question is, perhaps the shooter is ok. with shooting #1 and #2 targets, but has a malfunction, he clears the gun reloads and shoots the correct number of shots on #3, leaving 2 in the gun.  My question is, can the shooter shoot the extra 2 rounds into the berm, or does he have to manually clear the gun?  Someone said it would be an advantage, I don't know, but being left handed, it would require me to change hands to manually clear the gun, and lock the slide.  Would it be a spirit of the game violation, or an advantage.  I don't know.  I can clear and lock the slide back quite quickly, so it doesn't really matter to me, but the situation could appear sometime in the future.  Thanks.  P.S. the shooter shoots 10 rifle targets after the pistol.

No, Happy Jack gave you the definitive answer on the other post.  You have to manually clear the pistol.  This happens frequently for what ever reason.

Don't fire the rounds in the berm:

15.The penalty for using “illegally acquired” ammunition (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an approved manner) or overloaded rounds that are fired will be a PROCEDURAL. Any targets hit using that ammo will be scored as MISSES. NO adjustments will be made to the stage raw time. Shooters Handbook p 24

Manually clear the pistol and lock the slide back by placing the trigger finger on your left hand under the slide stop as you pull the slide back with the right hand.  Do not switch hands with a loaded pistol.  You will get a SDQ

• No cocked, loaded pistol may ever leave a shooter’s hand (Stage Disqualification). This also means from one hand to the other. This does not apply to clearing malfunctions. Shooters Handbook P.7

JFN

Additionally, try not to have any malfunctions.

Most malfunctions I see are ammo related. Take time to find how to load ammo that will consistently cycle in your 1911.

If malfunctions are gun related, have a competent 1911 gunsmith take a look.

Some malfunctions are magazine related. After I started using Tripp mags I haven't had any mag problems.

Even after that, you may still have an occasional malfunction so practicing what JFN said is important.

Manually clear the pistol and lock the slide back by placing the trigger finger on your left hand under the slide stop as you pull the slide back with the right hand.

JFN

Thanks for that, J Frank!  Tried that suggestion out and with a bit of practice, it can be done by someone with short fingers.

Now to be able to remember that in the moment you need it....... :P

• 1 month later...