The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Revolver category

I got to thinking after WB today what about a revolver category?  A S&W 1917 or replica (or even the Colt version) with moonclips could probably not be far behind a 1911 with five rounds.  Moonclip change out can be almost if not as fast as a 1911 magazine change. 

A lot of revolver preferring folks around. 

I'd be for this. I have an old S&W hand ejector in .455 Webley that I would shoot in that. Could be fun. I don't see it needing to be competitive to a 1911 in the same way that someone shooting 2 handed VS someone shooting cap and ball guns duelist in SASS are not competitive with each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny thing, I was talking to a WB buddy on Sunday at breakfast about this same topic.  When I asked if he would consider letting me try it at one of his local WB monthlys, he said sure.  Time to load up and get that S&W 1917 ready!

Yes I know lead only bullets, the pic was for another forum, Mil-Surp.

Buckeye Pete

IMG_0363.JPG.70ec5f2c84e70ac38f82e72d78b02fd2.JPG

Reminds me of Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"  ???

"You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement."

Ain't Wild Bunch a side match in itself? Maybe the side match needs a side match allowing revolvers like the 1917 previously mentioned? Old school double action revolvers, other interesting Firearms of the period just because it would be darn fun?

Just friendly postulation... :)

Ain't Wild Bunch a side match in itself? Maybe the side match needs a side match allowing revolvers like the 1917 previously mentioned? Old school double action revolvers, other interesting Firearms of the period just because it would be darn fun?

Just friendly postulation... :)

That is a misconception that a few non Wild Bunch shooters have.  Wild Bunch is a totally separate shooting discipline, it is not Cowboy Action Shooting with a 1911!

Blackfoot

Oh, I understand WB is NOT CAS with a 1911. I think this overall misconception perhaps I and others initially have about WB is that as it is offered as a side match at some large CAS events that it IS mostly a side match.

I would much rather Wild Bunch be a standalone event and I certainly consider it as such. It is offered as such at End of Trail and I hope to participate there my next EoT visit. The problem seems to be with generating and continuing interest in Wild Bunch as its own separate shooting event.

As a separate costumed shooting discipline I am all on board.  But for reading about early WB I have no idea what the origins were as I simply was not around at the time but it sounded like a lot of fun. It also sounds from many disgruntled Cowboy Shooters on the other board that things have changed in Wild Bunch to the point where a lot of shooters have been disenfranchised, disappointed and even left due to rule changes and such. Whatever. I'm not here to discuss that. I simply have an interest in what Wild Bunch was and certainly to participate as it is now. My thought however remains and is fortified by your position that Wild Bunch is indeed it's own event. Why not then have a side match with Wild Bunch separate from the main WB match but in conjunction with the main match allowing for other types of firearms of interest to WB shooters (as having been discussed here and on the other board), much like pocket pistol or derringer are in cowboy? Separate interest, separate discipline, separate scoring. Just something allowing for the other toys to get some play time?

I have been to several large matches over the last year where 1911 speed pistol was offered as a side match for cowboy. That seems to generate some interest and it certainly is a heck of a lot of fun.

Still just wondering as I wander...

On edit:

Looks like the BAMM events are side matches at EoT this year. Aren't those considered somewhat of an extension of Wild Bunch?

Hey Buckeye!

Good lookin' Smith 1917. Indiana Jones made that somewhat popular with gun guys (although modded with a 4"barrel) in Raiders. It recently gained a lot more interest as it was used by Brad Pitt's character in the excellent movie FURY.

Always a great gun for the collection!

Dantankerous, you're correct about bamm. It was a dreamed up as a side match to get to play with a bunch of very cool old rifles and do something they were designed for......combat.....other venues offered paper target or silhouette type matches but we wanted our own. Bamm started as just a local thing and grew from that to what it is now. At our state matches we have side matches that are special for WB. We even had a thing called bammbalooza that folks are just now recovering from! Point is if you want to get interest bring your revolver and ammo and invite folks to shoot it. Let them cut loose and really crank on it. Start collecting shooters that are like minded and talk it up at a local level. Then start having a side match on the local level and be sure and keep talking with tell us how much interest your getting because it sounds like fun! I actually got one of my old smiths out with a couple of full moons after reading and seeing Rolan kraps nice pistol. Mine still has the service grips and while the kick wasn't bad you knew the trigger had been pulled! That was with my 230--165 pf loads same as I shoot WB main match.

Hey Buckeye!

Good lookin' Smith 1917. Indiana Jones made that somewhat popular with gun guys (although modded with a 4"barrel) in Raiders. It recently gained a lot more interest as it was used by Brad Pitt's character in the excellent movie FURY.

Always a great gun for the collection!

Well Thank You Dantankerous!

I've always liked the S&W 1917.  Finally found one that I could afford and was in good condition.  Looking forward to shooting it.

Buckeye Pete