The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

An interesting story about oil..or how long will your WB pistol run before clean

DUSTY BODDAMS

Over the years I've tried many oils and cleaners etc. that were supposed to be the greatest thing. Anytime that went by with most of this resulted in a slow sticky gun. Some of it useable but some seem to evaporate. Past few years I've been using Lucas gun oil the red stuff in the little bottle. I've noticed that my rails stay wet. Point of the story is I field stripped and cleaned the pistol,a les Baer for the November monthly shot  that match dec. was canceled looked at it for Jan. Rails were still wet did not clean it. Same for Feb. and March did not clean it . Took it out and shot it ,got the round count up north of 650 with lead and zero malfunctions. I chickened out on shooting another match before cleaning but when i field stripped it the lucas oil was still on the rails and the pistol was not all that dirty. I really think it could have ran longer without a problem. I don't have any connection to Lucas products other than as a consumer but I do think this story is worth mentioning. Dusty Boddams

I do have a connection to Lucas and I am here to tell you, it is the best I have found! I have tried most everything out there and while I have only found one or two that are really bad, I've never found one that was really great, until I found Lucas. I have used Lucas products in the automotive industry for 30 years and found it to be really good stuff. When I found the Outdoor line, I was ecstatic! Two overall national championships for me, several state championships for Lady Jane and me, a category world championship for her and numerous other wins, the Lucas products work. Period. They came to me when they were starting their shooting team a couple of years ago and asked me to be their cowboy action representative. I have been very lax lately about promoting the product line because I have been so busy but it works!

Oh, Dusty. Lady Jane and I run our 1911s about 3-4000 rounds before cleaning.

Remarkable! I am amazed at how Lucas oil stays where you put it and does not just go away. Ok so what's the purpose of the blue oil? I heard it was the machine gun oil that they designed. I've used the automotive products for a long time to. The only reason I tried the gun oil was because of how good the vehicle products are.

I also go thousands of rounds between cleanings of my 1911's.  I have only used WST powder for at least 20 years in 45ACP loads. It became available to the public in the early 1990's and is the first choice of many pro shooters for 45ACP loads. I also use only Penn Bullets. 230gr H&G.  Never a malfunction or an accuracy problem if I do my part. I think the red oil from Brownells is repackaged Lucas. It is really good stuff.

So you go 4000 rounds w/o leading between cleanings? Unreal and remarkable. Do not try this at home with any glockenspiel folks...

I don't think that Lucas oil has anything to do with leading in your barrel.  I have never had a problem with leading even when I shot commercial bullets.  I too shoot a lot of rounds between cleanings with vary little barrel leading.  Most my shooting is on a home range where I shoot paper.  I quit shooting steel because I found I was calling my shots off of the "ding" and not the sights, but I digress.  I shoot lead mined from my berm and wheel weights from the local tire shop.  Lee molds and generic lube-alox for both rifle and pistol.  All most no leading in either.  A couple patches down the bore an I am good to go.  I shoot WTS at matches and Promo (Red Dot) at home because it is cheap.  I guess this whole process says I go for the cheap.

Now about the gun oil.  Since I shot High Power, I used Kroil to clean and oil my guns.  While I still use Kroil to clean (it is thin), I discovered it doesn't keep the rifle or pistol lubed; or "wet" to use Dusty's term.  The blue Lucas oil keeps working long beyond when other lubes disappear.  When the slide slows to a crawl, a shot of Lucas Blue and you are up and running.  Why bother with the whole cleaning process?

Was not implying that Lucas or any oil would have any effect on barrel leading. My question went to which of Ringer's bulletos Boggus was putting so many rounds thru with no apparent leading problems, plastic coated or plain lead since Ringer sells both types. Pretty remarkable actually. Like Boggus, I despise cleaning but I have never gone over about a thousand rounds w/o running a bore snake thru. That and a spritz of whatever here and there keeps me going w/o field stripping.

There are other treatments, but the liquid I remember as being advertised not just to reduce leading but to actually eliminate it forever was SweetShooter. Any of y'all remember that stuff? I still have a large can of it as welll as all the kit that I bought from the guy at the first Edgewood EOT back in what was it 03? 04? They also had a slew of auto treatment products just like Lucas. Inertia kept me from ever trying the SweetShooter treatment but still have it and may yet crack open the can...

...someday ... then again mebbe not...

Sure, I remember SweetShooter and all the hooplah with which it was introduced.  Didn't trust it then (to live up to it's hype).  Suppose if it had been ALL THAT, we would still be hearing about it.  Was it OK? Well, about like other bore cleaners.  Was it great? No.  So many things introduced to the shooting industry by folks without much track record fall into that group.  And half the things introduced by those WITH a track record, too.

Lucas Oil - been around for years, just not real heavily advertised.  When I run out of my existing oils, I'll try some.  Until then, I'll apply a little oil and a little grease where they are needed when I clean a gun.  I don't believe in trying to extend periods between cleanings by just applying a lube, though.  I've found a clean and lubed gun to be more reliable than a dirty and lubed gun.

Good luck, GJ

Lone Dog, I use his 230 gr lead alloy lubed bullet. I don't care for the coated ones of any kind. As for leading, I quit really paying attention to it years ago. With good bullets and barrels and the right velocities, it's a non issue. I had a little leading awhile back and found the bullet supplier(not Ringer) was using some reclaimed lead. Since then, I haven't had any problem. To the point that I really don't pay much attention to the barrels.

• 1 month later...

The ONLY bullets I will use anymore are Ringer's Bullets. I use his 230 grain bullets and WST powder. Every couple of weeks, I will squirt on some of the Lucas blue.  I hate, hate, hate cleaning guns. They're made to shoot! Not clean.

Hey Boggus, I found some of that miracle powder (WST) in San Saba TX, and next week or so I'll work on some reloads.  How about sharing your recipe for 230 gr bullets.

I have an unopened quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  Is that anywhere near Lucas Red or Blue in lube performance?

Good shooting!

Usually 4.4 4.0 grains of WST works to give 170 PF with a 230 grain lead bullet.

And 4.7 grains with a 200 grain slug.  But each 1911 shoots a loading to slightly different velocities, so chrono it.

It's the bullet lube that I have to clean out - WST burns clean enough that I don't find much powder fouling.

Good luck, GJ

CORRECTED the 230 grain load!

I have only used WST powder for at least 20 years in 45ACP loads. It became available to the public in the early 1990's

And before it got relabeled by Winchester, with perhaps a very minor tweak of the additives, it was branded as Winchester 452AA.  Shot tons of it in trap loads in the 1970s, as well as in 1911 cast bullet loads.

Good luck, GJ 

I have an unopened quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  Is that anywhere near Lucas Red or Blue in lube performance?

Good shooting!

The Red and Blue are specifically designed for firearm use. I don't know the chemical makeup but I would stick with those two and leave the Stabilizer for automotive use, except in emergency.

OK, Garrison Joe.  I've loaded 100 rounds of 45 acp with 4.4 grains of WST and 230 cast bullets. I will use the Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer until I get some Lucas gun lube.  Actually I've been using it for a week or so and didn't know it, as Judge Hangin Knott has been cleaning 1911s and applied it.  I didn't check for cleanliness before he cleaned them, but he says that compared to Mobil 1 there is less soot from the Trail Boss.

Tomorrow I head for the local gun club with chrono.  Good luck at EOT!