The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

6.5x55

Jorge

Most all BAMM Shooters use lead bullets.  Nearly all ranges where Wild Bunch and BAMM are shot only allow Lead Bullets.  I shoot  a 30-06 in 3 different rifles.  I use a 170gr  .310 dia.  lead gas check bullet.  I use a slow burning powder 4759 with a Federal Gold Medal Large Rifle Primer.  Norm Purcella Roswell, New Mexico makes the bullets.  His phone number is

575-625-2825

Goatneck

Here's my 6.5x55 load that won the BAM match at Winter Range in 2016. 

As always, each rifle is a story unto itself, and what shoots to 1.5 MOA for my gun may not hold 5 MOA in yours.

But as promised:

Lapua cases

Winchester LR primer

Lyman 266673 mold cast myself using 16 Brinnell hardness alloy, coming out of mold at 150 grains +/-.  No heat treatment, sized through a 0.264" die.

Carnuba Red lube from LSS

Hornady gas check

17.5 grains Accurate 5744 powder

Since then, I've cast some nice slugs from a Night Owl Enterprises 162 grain mold that seem to want to shoot a little tighter group yet (maybe 1 1/4 MOA), over the same powder.

Many of the Swede Model 96 rifles really like a muzzle velocity at 1600 FPS or less.  More velocity, and the loads often open up group sizes.

good luck, GJ

Good gravy GJ, your bullets must be half as long as your barrel at that weight.  How long is the throat on a Swedish Mauser?

And, BTW, I've been looking for one.  After flying 6.5 mm bullets at 1K yards for a few years, I'm a real fan boy of those bullets!!!  We have a guy who uses 6.5x55 at 1K and he'll beat you if you slip up.

AW -

Yes, the Swedish Mausers have EXTREMELY long throats.  They love the long heavy-for-caliber slugs.

A big lot of the Swede 96 rifles and carbines were procured by an Albuquerque gun shop about 2 years ago, most in very good or better shape.  I could check if you want to know if they still have some of those around....PM me.