The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

200gr. LRNFPSWC

Has anyone used the 45 cal. 200gr. lead round nose flat point semi-wad cutter bullets?  If so, what were your experience?  I guess the bullet description left a lot to be desired.  A friend has a 1911 45 that will not digest my 200 gr. lswc.  The only thing that will work at this time is loading copper plated 230 gr. bullets, and the gun works fine.  I did some searching on the net and found some 45 cal  .452  200 gr. lead bullets with a flat point and of the shape of a round nose bullet without the crimp groove.  The bullet shape looks like a 200gr.  lswc but the bullet is not the cone shape like most swc is is rounded like the 230 round nose.  I guess you could use the 200gr. lead round nose with a bullet crimp, but where do you seat the bullet?

Never seen such a critter (LRNFPSWC).  Closest I've seen is the Accurate 45-200B.  Which isn't a real RN and it's not truly a SWC.  But it is a FN.  Kind of a mixed-breed, in my opinion.

I like a 200 grain Truncated Cone (flat nose) for both rifle and pistol.  Simplifies supply.  Shoots perfectly.  In case you want to know, I cast the Accurate 45-200E design for myself.

Any degree of semi-wadcutter shape gives you a shoulder that lever guns usually hate.  Otherwise, I'd probably still be shooting H&G 68 semiwadcutters.

I've shot some round nose flat point 200 grainers in the 1911.  It's susceptible to failing-to-chamber completely with a tight throat like 1911 barrels have (bullet seating position has to be just right).  The TC design gives more flexibility on seating position, because the nose tapers away from the rifling more quickly than a RNFP does.

Lots of folks have their barrel throats opened up to correct the chambering of a RN or RNFP slug.  I just use the right bullet. ;D

Some folks like a 230 grain slug.  I've noticed most of them shoot two handed.  I don't, and a 200 grain slug works better for recoil recovery FOR ME.

Good luck, GJ

A friend has a 1911 45 that will not digest my 200 gr. lswc.  The only thing that will work at this time is loading copper plated 230 gr. bullets, and the gun works fine.

What you added to your initial post is EXACTLY what my earlier reply addresses. 

The front band (called the driving band) of the slug is jamming into the rifling, which on a 1911 starts within 0.050" of the end of the chamber.  His barrel may have even "taller" lands than normal, or less of a throat where the chamber tapers into the rifled barrel.  Symptom - rounds often fail to chamber that last 1/16", leaving slide JUST out of battery, and slide has to be whacked with helle of the weak hand to get it to close.

Solution - seat your existing SWC slugs slightly deeper for your pard!  The very top edge of the driving band needs to be exactly at the mouth of the taper crimped loaded round.  Seated slightly longer, and the driving band jams into rifling.  Seated slightly shorter, and the mouth's taper crimp wraps over the band and does not bite slightly into the driving band as the crimp is applied.

Using a RNFP design won't help his problem, not near as much as using a truncated cone design does, because the cone has a sharper angle and keeps the lead of the slug just above the driving band off of the rifling much better than the RNFP or RN. 

Good luck, GJ

My friend's 1911 would coke up on the feed ramp,

Well, that's not too descriptive.  Suppose you meant "choke".

But, a feed ramp failure is often a magazine problem.  Put a good mag in it and try again.  Tripp, McCormick, Colt are some of the best.  Wilson would be if they'd make a no-base-bumper model again. 

Feed ramps do work better nicely smoothed and polished and aligned so the barrel lip does not stick out over the top of the ramp....

Sounds like your pard's gun needs a light action job, not necessarily a different slug.  Tell him he really ought to WANT his 1911 to feed most ammo, because that is TRUE.

If the slug you are using has a wide meplat (the flat tip at the front), 1911's hate trying to shove that up a feed ramp, even if it is well tuned.  A truncated cone design feeds much better.  Or a conventional round nose (which can be considered to be a "very small meplat").

Good luck, GJ

My friend's 1911 would coke up on the feed ramp,

Well, that's not too descriptive.  Suppose you meant "choke".

But, a feed ramp failure is often a magazine problem.  Put a good mag in it and try again.  Tripp, McCormick, Colt are some of the best.  Wilson would be if they'd make a no-base-bumper model again. 

Feed ramps do work better nicely smoothed and polished and aligned so the barrel lip does not stick out over the top of the ramp....

Sounds like your pard's gun needs a light action job, not necessarily a different slug.  Tell him he really ought to WANT his 1911 to feed most ammo, because that is TRUE.

If the slug you are using has a wide meplat (the flat tip at the front), 1911's hate trying to shove that up a feed ramp, even if it is well tuned.  A truncated cone design feeds much better.  Or a conventional round nose (which can be considered to be a "very small meplat").

Good luck, GJ

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/1911-Service-Mag-Plus-45-ACP-Full-Size-7-Round-Stainless/productinfo/608/

Uh, Joe, you mean like these Wilson magazines?

Yep, those are great.  Wilson quit making those for several years.  Looks like they got the feedback that a bumperless, economy-but-well-built mag is needed for lots of reasons.

When I wear out my twenty or so Tripps, I (or more likely one of my grandsons) might have to look at those.  ;D