The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

power factor/magazine question

Base pads are not allowed on any magazines used in Wild Bunch Action Shooting matches.  As far as checking for power factor, that is normally done at State Level and above (Regional/Divisional/National/World) matches...but is optional at club level matches.  That being said, I would not try to game the system by loading ammunition that does not meet the minimum power factors called for (150 power factor minimum).

Dirty Southpaw,

At the local monthly matches around here, we don't normally check power factor. If you're a new shooter who shows up and has ammo that is questionable, I will tell you about the rules. If you show up next month with the same ammo, I might just chrono you. Haven't had to do that, yet.

Same with base pads. If you show up with illegal magazines at your first match, I will let you know the rules. Let you shoot today! Absolutely!!  I'll even offer to loan you mags! But next month, I'll ask that you be in compliance with the rules.

Not at the annuals I am involved with hosting. If the match is advertised as all WBAS rules apply, they apply. I would talk to the folks at the match you are referring to and let them know they are doing a disservice to the shooters. Those shooters are likely to show up at a match with illegal equipment and be called on it. Seen it happen before. I do my best to not let it happen.

I'll probably quit shooting cowboy shortly. If that is the WIld Bunch match in Bend hosted by the Horse Ridge Pistoleros, that is a heck of a match. Little Italy, Sunrise Bill and Texas Jack Morales put on a great time! Just look out for Last Chance Morales! His gun has a broken sear! It absolutely cannot shot that fast! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably quit shooting cowboy shortly. If that is the WIld Bunch match in Bend hosted by the Horse Ridge Pistoleros, that is a heck of a match. Little Italy, Sunrise Bill and Texas Jack Morales put on a great time! Just look out for Last Chance Morales! His gun has a broken sear! It absolutely cannot shot that fast!

What I say about Dusty Boddems.

We generally don't have a problem with magazines or power factor issues.  If a shooter has magazines with base pads we just tell them about the magazine reaquirements and usually they are eager to comply.  Sometimes will ask why XYZ company sells a 1911 as a Wild Bunch gun if it comes with illegal magazines.  Same thing with power factor, most shooters are eager to comply with ammo requirements, both bullet weight and power factor.

Blackfoot :)