The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Idle Thoughts -- More Shotguns

Lone Dog

Well it is way past time we allowed the 87 to play in this game. I have shot a coupla local matches with mine and let me tell ya it is a real hoot to run that levergun fully stoked on a 6 shot WBAS run. I know I have suggested this before and got nowhere with it. I really cannot see why not. It is just as likely back in the day that an 87 would have been being utilyzed as it is a M12 was. Know whut I mean Vern?

Also the new Ithaca/Inland Mod 37 trench gun looks perfect for this game. It sho am purdy. A little bit ( ok what the hell a lot ) pricey for a pump gun but dang do it look spiffy. I may never get one unless I find a used one worth the money someday but until that time I can dream...

Last time I watched the movie "The Wild Bunch", on which our sport is based, I don't seem to recall seeing any Winchester 87 shotguns being used, just Model 97's and Model 12's.  You can shoot a Model 97, you can shoot an IAC 97/93, you can shoot a Model 12, or you can shoot trench gun variations of all these...we don't need any more shotgun choices.

Well originally I guess WBAS was based on the movie, now not so much. Mebbeso more a blend of the movie and the Punitive Expedition. Strother Martin used an 03 in the movie and we don't allow it in the main match. There were 87s around in the time of the movie is set in. I'm bettin' if ole Sam Peckinpah had thot about it there would have been an 87 or two in the movie. Bet. There were certainly those amongst us who thot we did not need the M12 in this game but now thankfully we have them. Just blanket statement-ing "we doan need no mo guns" is narrow-minded. Of course we do. Just think -- maybe it will bring all the CAS shooters with an 87 and a 1911 into the game. There is no competitive advantage to the 87 and I am here to testify it is a major hoot to stoke it up and cut loose like Saint JMB designed it to do.

• 3 weeks later...
Nerp.  No amen on any autoloaders as too many would cry "foul" and perceive a competitive advantage. And they could might well have a point there. No advantage to the 87. So, Griff, if the Auto 5 is the second most widely produced autoloader of all time inquiring minds want to know what is first? My guess is Rem 1100...

;D actually as we use shotguns in wild bunch based on six rounds  the remmy  knock offs and the Brownings would not be competitive at all. Dusty

Yep, just as with the SAA and the 1911, the '97 or mdl 12 can be fired faster than the auto-loader.

Yes it sure would. What are the rules about adding extended mag tubes to otherwise legal guns such as the lightweight Model 12 ?

No can do. I've asked about it and the Model 25. Answer was no.

The answer is always no until it isn't. It was no for years on the 93/97 and the M12. Real sad about the Model 25 fo sho...

BD I had a 25 and that was a solid nice shotgun with really good dimensions. Of course it wasn't legal and it didn't hold enough shells but as a field gun it could not be beat. Other than the obvious differences it operated smooth and had good fitting but was not polished out as much as a model 12 and the wood on mine looked oil finished instead of varnish .

If only folks knew five percent of what went into getting the Model 12 on board.............

Just sayin.

That was driven by mainly one individual, and many, many months of research, study, and one helluva presentation....

Or it probably wouldn't be.

I appreciate what this individual (yes I know who) did.  To take the time and had the fortitude to do all that was needed to get Model 12 approved. The great result is that current and future WB shooters have a great shotgun to use!!!!

Nawlins