The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

New 97 problems

I can't even begin to express my frustration with this gun. I bought one of the new 97's that Coyote Cap is offering. This gun is brand new and I ran a box of shells last weekend to get the feel of it and I loved it. Showed up to a match this morning and the problems began. First stage, the third shell would not feed from the mag tube. It took a couple pumps to get it to go. Second stage, it did it on the second and the fourth shell. It took several attempts to get them to feed. I remember trying four times on one round with no results. Third stage, the mag tube let two go and jammed on the third round.

Now by no means do I run my 97's light. I slam fire the targets as fast as I can with authority. Now the stages today all called for 4 shotgun targets and the mag spring is stock. I could understand if this thing was one of my older guns but this thing is new.

Anybody else having problems?

I'd probably send it in to CC and let him take a look.  Sounds like at least the cartridge stops are not working 100% and are failing to let the shells out of mag.

Of course, it could be you -short stroking the 97 while trying to go fast will jam it up right now.  Try shooting in practice sessions and see if full strokes solve the problem. 

Good luck, GJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CK,

I'm not a gun authority or even a winning shooter. However, I had problems with AAs, which any of us can encounter and not like. Now I only use green Remmies for WB. They work much slicker. I save the AAs for single loading at a SASS match. As soon as all of those AA hulls are gone I will only use Remmies, green for usual WBAS/CAS, grey for BP, and gold for super Kaboomers.

Regards,

AM

• 4 weeks later...
Would be hard to tell without seeing the shotgun but it is a "balancing act" between the mag spring and cartridge stops and how much pressure is applied to them by the carrier when it drops. I would try a little more mag spring pressure, maybe a little less cartridge stop pressure and check the ends of the stops where the cartridge slides past them. I have had to smooth and sometimes change the angle slightly to achieve a reliable reload. If you are not comfortable with working on them, find a good 97 smith....  If you get one right, they will be reliable with  just about any ammo .......

CK

Not to cook your beans.............. Shooting Wild Bunch and Cowboy Action a lot of us use a 12ga Chamber Gauge to check all our shotgun rounds.  This prevents lots of problems with hulls that stick in doubles and Pump Guns that do jam from time to time.  In an earlier post it was suggested the shogun be sent back to Coyote Cap.  I would recommend exactly that.  I know Cap and he will stand behind his product.  I build lots of Cowboy and WB shotguns for customers and that's what I would suggest to one of my customer's with a functioning issue.  I do sell chamber gauges other Smiths do the same

Adios..............Goatneck

Yeah, for a while, Win AA quality sucked! I had one where the base was crushed down one side like you'd crush a case in a sizing die. I am a bit more surprised at the high rate in the Federals. I'll tell you, it makes me wonder about the quality of all factory ammo, anymore, especially self defense. For every 100,000 AAs they make, they probably make a couple million self defense cartridges. Do they have the same failure rate?????

It started acting up again this weekend but this time it wasn't ejecting empties. I thought it was slipping off the extractor but the TO said that he thought they were flipping back in. It did it four times in a row before I put it away. I was using it in a CAS match and not a WB match. I did get a hold of Cap and he told me to send it to him and he would get it fixed. That's a man that stands behind his product right there! It shipped out today.

It might be ammo, it might be something done at the factory or it could just be my bad luck. When it comes to guns, I've had some very bad luck. I told him I didn't care what it took but I want this to be my main gun. If he thinks it needs something then I will pay for it.

On a side note WBT, I saw something this past weekend and I would like to ask you about. I will send you a message here in just a little bit.