The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Preferred Magazine for the 1911?

Badlands Bob

I use a Kimber TLE II 1911 pistol for Wild Bunch and I "had" 7 Chip McCormick magazines that I have used for many years.  I have recently either lost them, misplaced them or some scoundrel stole them.  Anyway, I need to get 7 new 1911 magazines before March.  What is considered the best that is also Wild Bunch legal?  Chip McCormick, Tripp or something else.  I haven't really kept up with the latest improvements.  

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Renegade Roper said:

Does anyone use Ed Brown?

I know a number of shooters that use Ed Brown mags that they got through the exchange program. They were ok for me but I sold mine.

I've also had Tripp mags and had trouble. Failure to feed on the 3rd round. But they are by far the preferred mag in WB.

I use ACT mags designed by John Nowlin, I buy them on eBay.

My big issue is I want my mags to have parallel lips. Stops the top round from flipping out when you slam the mag home on a locked back slide or pealing it off as you pull the mag from the mag pouch. Tripp, ACT and a few others have parallel lips.

You won't go wrong with Tripp Magazines.

JFN

Edited by J. Frank Norfleet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob said:

Are you using Tripp model 7R-45WG?  That seems to be a 7 round mag with the welded base plate.  

They's the one.  My experience with Tripp has been flawless for Wild Bunch use in either of my 1911s.

Some folks like to add a 1/4" thick leather pad for more sure seating of mag in the well, and to minimize the chance of pinching part of their palm.  GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I encourage all my competitors to add the .25" bumper pad to their mags. It does decrease the chance of a pinch and helps in seating the mag with the closed slide on a tac reload. It also allows the shooter to drive the mag too deep when loading from slide lock. This locks up the pistol and you are done for that stage (usually happens at a major match). Or, you eventually break the welds on the base plate and on a reload the base plate comes off, the spring, follower and rounds squirt on the ground. Again, the mag tube is wedged in the pistol shutting you down for that stage (usually at a major match).

Tripp will weld all the way around the baseplate, if you request it. Or, don't add the leather base pad unless you really need it.

JFN

If you order Tripp mags and want the base plates welded, you need to request it.   Ask for the Evil Roy mod.  The last time I ordered some, they charged an extra $5 to weld them.    

I run Trip mags with the welded base plates.   They are worth the money in my opinion.   Evil Roy clued me onto the welded base plates at EOT, after I had the base plate fail on a McCormick mag while shooting.   It is an interesting malfunction to deal with to say the least.   

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 9:03 AM, Elwood James said:

If you order Tripp mags and want the base plates welded, you need to request it.   Ask for the Evil Roy mod.  The last time I ordered some, they charged an extra $5 to weld them.    

I run Trip mags with the welded base plates.   They are worth the money in my opinion.   Evil Roy clued me onto the welded base plates at EOT, after I had the base plate fail on a McCormick mag while shooting.   It is an interesting malfunction to deal with to say the least.   

Had that happen to me several years back. I just stared at the mess (on the clock) and began laughing.

I've been out of WB for about 3 years but am getting back in this year. The tip on ordering welded base plates from Tripp is a great one! Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...