The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

EOT Wild Bunch survey is out

Back 40

Maybe the RO committee can make that happen.

I would like to see a change in the awards. I think the two overall winners should be moved out of their category and the second place winners in those categories moved up to first place. Once you win overall who cares which category you won. Overall is the primo award, and moving the 2nd place winner to 1st place makes a lot of sense. Texas has been doing this for years and we started it several years ago. Haven't heard a shooter complain yet.

JFN

Maybe the RO committee can make that happen.

I would like to see a change in the awards. I think the two overall winners should be moved out of their category and the second place winners in those categories moved up to first place. Once you win overall who cares which category you won. Overall is the primo award, and moving the 2nd place winner to 1st place makes a lot of sense. Texas has been doing this for years and we started it several years ago. Haven't heard a shooter complain yet.

JFN

I disagree. I surely wouldn't want a handout 1st place award when I placed 2nd in my category just because the guy that beat me also beat everyone else.  He/she deserves it. They won their category and they beat the entire field. Good for them and congratulations on their excellent shooting. I'd be embarrassed to except an award for something I didn't earn.  If that's how Texas does it then I truly feel bad for Texas. 

I appreciate those who have disagreed, you have made me think.

It has taken several days to remember Goatneck's argument and I realized it was based on the stage point scoring system. The idea was that a match is not just one match but is a series of smaller matches. Because of stage points, the scores could be sorted so that shooters competed head to head with shooters of the same category. So modern shooters were compared to modern, traditional to traditional, men against men, ladies against ladies and so on. Total time has made that whole system moot. Everyone is ranked fastest to slowest.

The other reason was we wanted to give buckles to all the winners. We hoped nice prizes would attract out-of-state shooters. Last year we gave 2 buckles to the overall winners, 4 to the modern/traditional categories and 2 to the lady categories (not enough to have lady seniors). By moving the overall winners up we brought two more shooters to the prize table and 8 shooters got 8 buckles. I will say that over the years there have been shooters who won a buckle that liked the system. But, I hear those of you that don't like the system. If we get to hold a state match this year, we will give this a serious discussion. Maybe we need to give plaques to the category winners and buckles to the two overall winners. That would cut the buckle bill down to two and eliminate duplicate awards.

Thanks for the food for thought.

JFN

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Smokin Gator

I'm confused. But I don't know all about Wild Bunch shooting. You have Traditional and Modern.  Whoever has the best score between thos 2 divisions would be the overall winner. One shooter. But it's being talked about as if there are 2 overall winners. I must be missing something.

• 2 months later...
Guest PInky Jo
On 4/25/2022 at 9:39 PM, Guest Smokin Gator said:

I'm confused. But I don't know all about Wild Bunch shooting. You have Traditional and Modern.  Whoever has the best score between thos 2 divisions would be the overall winner. One shooter. But it's being talked about as if there are 2 overall winners. I must be missing something.

I’m assuming he was talking overall mens and womens.  

21 hours ago, Guest PInky Jo said:

I’m assuming he was talking overall mens and womens.  

Overall Man

Overall Lady

Open Categories

Modern

Sr. Modern

Traditional

Sr. Traditional

Protected categories

Lady Modern

Sr. Lady Modern

Lady Traditional

Sr. Lady Traditional

Technically a Lady can compete in the open categories with the men but a man can't shoot in the lady protected categories.

• Thanks 1