The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

" Mild Bunch" ?

Hi, are there any rules for "Mild Bunch" ?  I am told that you use a 22 LR pistol and rifle.  I guess this is an elastic term and can also mean smaller caliber centerfire. Sounds like using a 1911 with a 22 LR conversion or one of the newer 1911, 22's would be fun. I have a older Marlin 39 and a Colt conversion with the floating chamber that I would like to shoot more, regards, Mike

I guess any gun game is a good thing if it expands the shooter base but there already are great .22 gun games such as the Rimfire Challenge and silhouette events [ZSA allow .22 also] so in all honesty I don’t get your Mild Bunch idea. I have a .22 Colt conversion that I used as a stage gun when we shot out first Wild Bunch match [years prior to the establishment of Wild Bunch] which was a monthly club match of 5 scenarios actually based on the move that I created not the run and gun cowboy ipsc that happens today. To me the fun of WB is in the realness of wild bunch, real 1911s and 6 rds of 12 ga without reloading, not some watered way down version.

Hi Brother, I was original attracted to "Wild Bunch" because I liked the movie. After careful contemplation I realized one of my weakness in self defense is speed. So I think that this helps me. Now that I'm older than dirt and no longer in "service" self defense is less of a consideration. I still think it's a "hoot". Wild  Bunch using a 22 LR may not interest all, it's still sounds like fun.  I don't need anymore hobbies but during my first match I met a lot of great guys. You can never have too many friends, or firearms. The sad thing I found, was that some WB competitors never watched the movie. One young competitor told me " that's a dumb movie." I guess that's what makes the world go around,  :), regards, Mike

Hi Baltimoreed,  he's not the only one, an older guy was confused by my reference to the opening scene of the burning of the scorpion. I guess they're not movie buffs.  Me, I love that movie and just got the Blue Ray and the book on Amazon "The Wild Bunch: Sam Peckinpah, a Revolution in Hollywood, and the Making of a Legendary Film"  by  W. K. Stratton. It was interesting and I learned that many of the Mexican actors were big stars of Mexican movies. I also learned that the actor that play "Mapache"  and also Albert Decker were a little strange; to say the least.  Mike