The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

My hand gets torn-up every time I shoot my 1911?

TheRev

I have 3 1911's and I want to WB shoot the original Colt SN 137xxx but the hammer/safety always pinch my hand and I end up bloody.  The other 2 have round hammers and extended safetys so they do not do that.  But as I read the rules that hammer and/or safety would put me in the "Modern" class and I don't want to shoot there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

TheRev

Howdy Pard,

I had the same problem the first few times I shot a 1911. I even had two "cute" little blood blisters that looked like vampire fang marks. All I can say is that I l"earned" how to not do whatever it was I did that caused that. ;D

Sorry I can't be more helpful; but l'm not sure what I did or didn't do  ???  ;)...

Regards,

Allie Mo

Not knowing how small or large your hands are I can only offer this.

I was teaching a couple of friends the wonderful world of 1911's. One of my friends suffered the dreaded "pinch", the the same problem you experienced I believe. We adjusted her grip and put a thin leather glove on that hand and she never suffered another pinch again. The glove helped her with control of the pistol during recoil and assisted with the grip during reloads.

Hope this helped.

OK REV,  what the deal is you have an original 1917 yr model 1911 and the really early ones have a super short grip safety. almost looks bobbed compared to a 1911a1. the cure for your ailment is bandaid brand tough strips applied in the appropriate place it will stay there all day. you don't have chunks of meat flying off you everytime you pull the trigger.we have to pardon the pun but i do have alot of first hand experiance.......scars to prove it!....i shoot the early originals one made 1913 the others1914,1916.problem solved, ;Denjoy that electric smokewagon!---------dusty

The Rev you have me studying my hands. The web of my left looks normal the right web is raised with a calloused top. I think this is the sign of addition for a traditional shooter!! I find like Lanky Frame stated, that my hand got accustom to the beating of 1911 hammer. My right hand does not bleed like it use to!!

Email Wild Bodie Tom, I am sure he can fix your hammer for you!!!

Good Luck,

Tully

• 2 weeks later...
Adjust your grip. On a traditional pistol the grip is a bit lower. Thumb normally rides below the thumb safety on that type of pistol. On a modern pistol with a beavertail grip safety the grip is higher and thumb rides above the thumb safety.

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Howdy,

I had the same problem running my Colt WWI repop.  Blood just ain't a good lubricant!  I purchased some period correct cavalry  gauntlets, made sure I could do all my manipulations with them safely, and that stopped the problem for me.  The scratches the slide puts on the gloves is faint and doesn't really harm them.  

I hope this helps.  Just make sure that the glove lets you run your weapons safely and get used to shooting with them on.  It may take a little time to get used to the feel, too.  We make our motor officers shoot with their helmet and gloves on, and there definitely is a learning curve.

Vaya con Dios,

Wild Bill  

I graduated Gunsite the first time with a deep pit in the web of my hand from a short tanged Colt Commander and that was shooting two handed.  I thought it was the way it was and as a result my carry pistol wears a Brown beavertail grip safety.

I shoot traditional with a straight Colt WWI reproduction which is the most hammer-bite prone 1911 out there.  That bite by the way is one reason there is a 1911A1 version.  

I got bit plenty in the first year of shooting Wild Bunch since I was trained by Col Cooper to perch the thumb on the safety and left the thumb hanging near the safety.   You need to get that grip high with no regard for the safety since it is not needed in our game.  It is a kind of aversion therapy: you are averse to getting bit and you will get that grip high under the tang and the thumb parallel to the frame and about 1/2" below the safety which keeps your web from getting bit.

I have found that the paint on instant band aid stuff from the first-aid store is wonderful when you (or I) ferget to git that thumb low.

An examination of the web of my hand after shooting last weekend a total of 120 rounds with my Yavapai pards shows nary a blister or bite so I did it right that time.

Wipe the blood off the tang as it is corrosive to blued finishes.

CP

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yup, I have a Colt WWI remake also and shoot traditional.  This problem was bad with my gun too.  I polished "fit" the safety and the back of the grip so that when the safety is depressed there are no sharp edges along the area that comes in contact with the web between thumb and finger.  No more bleeding, pinching, and gouging.  Just run your finger around the edge of the back-strap safety with it pushed down and the bottom area below the hammer and you will know where to polish.