The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Pistol Lead vs Polymer Bullets ?

Still looking for more information and/or opinions

What info you need?  Poly coated slugs are the "new hot thing."  Pretty widely available from the professional bullet vendors, easy enough that some individuals have set up to coat their own cast bullets.  Removes need for lubing the bullet, and in 1911 that means the load  hardly fouls the gun at all, since there is no lube to blow all over the slide and frame.  Doesn't add much to the cost of bullets.  They load to about the same velocity and pressure as a cast bullet load of the same bullet weight.

I'd say, if you need real detailed info, you should call or email a couple of the vendors and find out from the horse's mouth. 

My opinion?  I'm not convinced yet that I want to shoot poly coats, and so still cast and lube bullets.  The tried and true serves me well.  The poly coated bullets serve several pards I know well. 

If you are not fully convinced yet, get a 250 pack and try them.  At the worst, you can give the remainder away to a fellow WB shooter.

Good luck, GJ

Hi Joe, this kind of  is how I feel also;  "My opinion?  I'm not convinced yet that I want to shoot poly coats, and so still cast and lube bullets.  The tried and true serves me well. "

The Bullseye shooter I know uses coated bullets but his only reason is that there is no lube, and as such are cleaner. Just wondering if I'm missing something. I guess not, thanks for your input, regards, Mike

I just switched over to all Hi-Tec coated bullets.  Less smoke, very little, if any leading, supposed to give a few more FPS, and you don't have a big mess with all that waxey lube on your loading dies.  I now use them in my Wild Bunch Springfield 1911, Ruger Vaqueros 44 mag, Marlin 1894 44 mag. and my Pedersoli 45/70.  Plenty of makers out there I happen to use ACME bullets.

Hi, the penny finally dropped and I realized that I have been using Federal Nyclad  factory in my 38 J frame, for years. Sorry to say no longer made.  In Evan Marshall's book, "Stopping Power" he compiled real shooting information using Police data. The Nyclad did very good for a non +P  38 Special.  I have a new 38-40 1873 and have decided to use Poly bullets in it. Thanks for the responses, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Its getting harder to find commercially cast bullets Down Under that are NOT coated.  All the major casters seem to offer ONLY coated projies now.... Ive been using them for years now..(45ACP, $% Colt, 38 Special and many, many 9mm) and like them a lot... I especially like the fact that I am not handling exposed lead... (although I am pretty serious about hand washing after any loading/cleaning/brass sorting/you name it)  Just seem cleaner in every respect.

I use both lead and PC. PC bullets won’t lead your bbl and can be cast of softer alloy. You might have to open the case mouths up a touch more as you don’t want to shave the coating and expose the lead. Imo they are superior to lubed bullets for cas, I don’t know about long range accuracy though. I cast pistol bullets and do both, pc and lubrisize but prefer the pc method.