The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Need Advice for 1911(s)

Col Del Rio

Original 1911's are very hard to find at a reasonable price, thus making shooting them a "sport for the rich".

Colt made some 1911's about 5 years ago through their custom shop.  Although these have all sold, thery do come up on the auction sites occasionally.

The 1911 is not all that much fun for most folks to shoot - you need a fairly large hand to master it, and the control surfaces are small.  There were lots of reasons why the 1911A1 was introduced.  None of the 1911s (originals or reproductions) were made with larger sights - just the very small and low mil sights of the time. 

If that is what you Really want, and its more for collecting than shooting, then watching the auctions is probably going to be your fastest way to satisfaction.  Try AuctionArms or GunBroker.

Otherwise, the fastest way to a good Traditional class pistol is a Colt Series 70 or 80 government model, both of which are in production, a Springfield MilSpec, or a Remington R1.  Any dealer who can do the slighest bit of research can find you a new one.  Any of the auction sites can turn up guns ranging from beaters to almost new in box.  Unlike Cowboy, the market is probably not large enough to find a gunsmith yet that is buying new guns and working them to "Wild Bunch ready."  Although Wild Bodie Tom or Goatneck Clem might be willing to do it on request, and you would have a fine piece when they finish.

Good luck, GJ

Col Del Rio,

The first question you need to answer is are you going to shoot "traditional" or "modern?"  You can shoot a traditional pistol in the modern category but not a modern in the traditional.  Answering that question will help a bunch.  For modern I and a number of shooters have had real good luck with the Ruger SR1911.  For traditional, follow Joe's advice and find a Colt series 70 and have WBT or GN tune it up for you.

JFN

Howdy BD, I have  seen several of these old pistols Fred has a few of them and billy bob ,the president of cvv shoots one at every match little sights and all. Fred put some better sight on his but these are cool old guns if you wanted to shoot a vintage colt this is the most economical way to do it.also the ones I shot were good pistols they functioned reliably and were just pretty dang accurate.  Dusty Boddams

To answer the man's original question wherein he asked for 1911 v A1 versions: I like the look of the Cimarron 1911 most especially the shiny sporty spiffy nickel one.

Not sure where they are made but I suspect maybe Turkey or the Phillipines. Leaning more toward the Phillipines but maybe someone will chime and say for sure.

Yes, the Cimarron guns are imported from Armscorp (Philippines). 

The quality of the Armscorp guns has been getting better quickly.  Some important internal fire control parts are sintered metal (MIM), which I don't like to depend upon to hold a good action job.  Depends upon how much you plan to shoot it, and how particular you are with great accuracy and reliability, versus how low the price is.  All those are important, but personal, choices. 

I doubt the OP's criteria match mine.  My criteria has led me to not want to shoot an Armscorp gun in competition.  And yes, I have (an early) one (labeled as Rock Island Armory).

Good luck, GJ

BD, I have an AO basic GI model and it has been rock solid and dead nuts reliable in WB competion. Love that gun. Just love my R1 and here lately a certain SR1911 a bit more. I think mine was one of the first off the line after Kahr bought AO. Great gun.

My first WB gun was a GI RIA I gave $399 for at a local gun shop not known for good pricing. That thing is still going strong.

Har!! I am a lot of things. "Flashy" ain't one of 'em and that is for sure and for certain.

I do not care if all the blue or parkerizing wears plum off any of my 1911s. That is honest wear. Just keep 'em wiped down with an oily rag everytime they are fired, they'll be just fine.

I might buy a used nickel gun if the price is right. But to spend money on gold-plating? Not a chance.