The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Laser Steered .50 BMG rounds

Actually J. Frank Norfleet is the MD for the Wild Bunch match at Outlaw Trail. I do agree with Joe though that after looking at the schedule there no time available for side matches. Maybe something Wed. afternoon, but after shooting 5 stages of WB I doubt many will be up to doing side matches. Maybe next year or in the Spring IF Buffalo Stampede returns we can have some side matches.

GJ, you stud ! Slung up and hind legs! Way to go. We are having a large  time with BAMM .

JFN, as you know the great thing about BAMM as a side match is it can be as quick or as long as the M.D. Wants it to be  we sometimes have 15 shot three position matches sometimes 10 shot 2 position and then of course our standard 10 shot single position with the reload on the clock and as you've seen we will vary the distances from 75 to around 125 yards. And then Who could forget bammbalooza at the Texas State match? Dusty B

Perhaps we could prevail on you kind Texans to post the stage instructions for a Bammbalooza, for us unfortunates out here in the badlands of New Mexico (where Invasions by Mexican Insurgents were a problem in the 1900s, not just today).

Good luck, GJ

Not withstanding the disagreements that Texas had with the same fellers in the 1800s.

Ok GJ, here goes bammbalooza was billed as an event instead of a side match and it had had a story line but the meat of it was this---shooter begins at the north door of the mercantile.rifle with bolt open 5 in the mag. At the beep proceed to left window and from any position shoot the driver then El Jefe the passenger in the back seat then the three outriders (we had a model T cutout with steel targets for driver and passenger wearing sombreros) range 90-110 yards.proceed to right window and repeat with rifle.grounding rifle draw pistol shoot plate rack with cigarette and cola cans on end sized targets plate rack. Move to center door engage dueling tree then engage "devil man" for five shots( he was at 90 yards).proceed to left window engage second dueling tree with five and ground pistol.Then run to the right hand porch and engage 6 shotgun targets (these are all clay birds thrown from a commercial thrower with the button held down). That was Bammbalooza 14' .  Any more woulda been to much!  Dusty Boddams

GJ, you could shoot at devil man however you wanted if you wanted to brace against the door frame that was fine. Nobody cleaned the stage, I was clean until the birds and dropped 2. I think the fastest time was just over 60 seconds. That's about as long as you can hold your breath isn't it? :o Everyone had a ball shooting it but anymore might of been to much. Devil man was also our long range fastest pistol target 5 shots most hits fastest time. We also had fastest pistol dueling tree 5 up 5 down. Also had 10 shot BAMM single position with same target order and presentation as bammbalooza . We had shotgun team match with birds  thrown from a commercial wobble trap. and fastest shotgun that was 6 birds thrown with the button held down on a commercial clay bird thrower. We had a lot of side matches that were different and a lot of fun. Have y'all ever noticed wild bunch shooters like to shoot a bunch! ;D

Back to the subject of the OP.  I have been aware of this program for several years. The teams that come out here (Including various groups from DARPA) have mentioned it off and on. Sandia's CA lab came up with early prototypes, but the current prototypes are from the same group as the "smart artillery shells". EXACTO. While the projectile is .50" it is NOT a bullet designed to be fired in a 50BMG case. It is too long (doesn't leave enough case room for powder) and not only that because of the rifling in the 50BMG barrel it wouldn't work. Too much gryoscopic stability. A new rifle would have to be developed to use it. I have no doubt that it will work, but a long way from being fielded.  After the failed tests with the radar and laser wind projects (some performed here at my site) this is a logical direction.

Ok GJ, here goes bammbalooza was billed as an event instead of a side match and it had had a story line but the meat of it was this---shooter begins at the north door of the mercantile.rifle with bolt open 5 in the mag. At the beep proceed to left window and from any position shoot the driver then El Jefe the passenger in the back seat then the three outriders (we had a model T cutout with steel targets for driver and passenger wearing sombreros) range 90-110 yards.proceed to right window and repeat with rifle.grounding rifle draw pistol shoot plate rack with cigarette and cola cans on end sized targets plate rack. Move to center door engage dueling tree then engage "devil man" for five shots( he was at 90 yards).proceed to left window engage second dueling tree with five and ground pistol.Then run to the right hand porch and engage 6 shotgun targets (these are all clay birds thrown from a commercial thrower with the button held down). That was Bammbalooza 14' .  Any more woulda been to much!  Dusty Boddams

Howdy Dusty

Are there any videos that were taken during the match?

Nawlins

Howdy NK, I don't know. Billy bob our club president might of done it . He is usually the photographer. I will ask him.  Dusty

Howdy Dusty,

For us folks who can't come down to play in your playground a video/pictures would be a good way to explain the match. Also showing shooters having fun is also a good thing.

Nawlins

JFN

I am going to shoot OUtlaw Trail with youall.  Thats great that you are shooting a Battle Rilfe Match.  I will bring several extra Rifles with Ammo for shooters to use if they do not have their own.  See ya in a few weeks..............

Goatneck