The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Recent 230gn ACP Load Testing

Just got back from the range and thought I would share a few recipes that I tested out today.  All rounds through a Springfield 5" 1911.  These were chronographed with ProChrono at 10 ft from muzzle.

230 gn RN Lead;  1.27 OAL; 4.0 gn Bullseye  :  FPS Avg = 699 fps; Std Dev = 18 fps; Power Factor = 160.7 

Comments:  Overall very easy on the recoil.  With an 18 Std Dev the loads were somewhat inconsistent.  Of the 10 shot string the minimum velocity was 667 fps which was still 153 PF.

230 gn RN Lead; 1.27 OAL; 4.5 gn Bullseye : FPS Avg = 764 fps; Std Dev = 12.45 fps; Power Factor = 175.6

Comments: Overall a nice consistent shooter.  Definitely more felt recoil than the 4.0 gn but velocity was very consistent.

230 gn RN Lead; 1.27 OAL; 5.0 gn Bullseye : FPS Avg = 833 fps; Std Dev = 13.36 fps; Power Factor = 191.5

Comments: Too hot for my WB needs.  Very accurate and consistent load but at 191 PF it fealt pretty heavy.  My forearsms would feel a whole match of these.

230 gn RN Lead; 1.27 OAL; 5.60 gn Alliant BE-86 : FPS Avg = 784 fps; Std Dev = 13.46; Power Factor = 180.3

Comments: Consistent velocities.  Similar PF to the 4.5 gn Bullseye but the recoil felt heavier.  A bit more crack to these loads.  Very accurate.

Overall some good data today.  I was impressed the 4.0 gn was consistently above the 150 minimum PF and felt smooth.  I have just recently switched to these 230 gn RN bullets so I am planning to go somewhere between the 4.0 and 4.5 gn loads.  Probably about 4.2 gn.    I liked the Bullseye loads better than the BE-86 loads though I might try working the BE-86 downward a bit.  I have a lot of BE-86 around because it is my 9 mm powder of choice so if I can find a 45 ACP WB load with BE-86 that I like it means one less powder to keep around.

Good information there thanks for sharing.  Bullseye Powder has been an excellent pistol powder for the 45ACP.  We used it in precision Bullseye matches for many years. As new Powders were developed big improvements were made.  The transition from Bullseye powder started with 700X. Then 452 and 231 powders came on the seen.  Each of the new powders had some improvement over the previous ones.  When Winchester Super Target came on the seen it was the go too Powder for the shotguners. Then the competition pistol shooters jumped on the band wagon.  Its advantages were very clean burning, light recoil and a narrow deviation for FPS. In the days pistol shooting world it is still one of the go to Powders.

• 1 month later...