The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Armscor Rock Island 1911

Blaze Kinkaid 253

My experience with an early one with a Rock Island Armory mark was that it was barely usable due to poor machining.  I believe they have fixed most of the errors they made in early production, but that is not from personal experience, as I will not ever have another to put through a serious test.

They certainly use a lot of MIM parts (MIM is metal injection molding).  This results in sintered parts with noticeable seams from the molds (unless they are carefully removed).  But even close attention to removing mold marks does not make a MIM part equal to a machined-from-bar-stock part.  I consider the use of MIM parts on fire control parts a major error for any firearm used for serious purposes.  Armscor still makes most of their sears, disconnectors, thumb safeties, magazine releases and several other parts with MIM technology.  The examples I have seen and discussed with other owners have needed a major action job before they were fit for serious match shooting.

Here's a video of a knowledgeable shooter testing and tweaking an Armscor 1911 in .45 auto.

The Springfield, Remington and Ruger 1911s are not much more money, and are considerably better in their machining and metal selection.  IMHO.  As you can tell, it all depends upon how good you expect your pistol to be.  I expect a level of smoothness, crispness and reliability that requires me to do a lot of action work on even my Colt models.

Good luck, GJ

My most dependable firearm I've ever competed with would have to be my STI Spartan made at Armscor. . . . . granted its made with STI specs and has had top notch work done to it. Still says "Armscor" on the side of the frame! So I guess that kind of, somewhat counts and the Spartan models were great for the money. 650$ or so.

• 4 weeks later...
A little late to this party.  I've only ever had 2 1911's.  A Kimber Compact Aluminum since 2000 that needed a lot of break-in.  And my Armscor (Cimarron) 1911 I got for WB.  It has been superb so far with nothing done to it.  That's a small sample, but another point of data.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two Taylor Tactical's and a RIA, all made by Armscor.  The two Taylor's have had action jobs, and are ramped... done before either had a round downrange.  But... my #1 WB gun is one of the Taylor's, the only stoppages have been magazine related.  Threw away all but two of my old (VN era & issue) military mags, problems solved.  I'm using Chip McCormick "Shooting Stars" magazines and have no issues.

Several gunmakers are using Armscor parts in their builds, and while they may have different specs than RI, apparently something has to have translated over into their general production, if my samples are indeed, representative.

I put my 2 Taylor's up against Colt products, of which I own 3.  IMO, they measure up admirably.