The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Will WBAS track changes to SASS “hammer” rule

Looks like a CAS rule change is coming to eliminate the automatic SDQ for leaving the LT with the rifle hammer cocked or halfcocked.  We all know that a rifle hammer at halfcock is a no-call in Wild Bunch.

Should WBAS follow suit?  Some differences in the rules between the two sports is necessary but since the rifle is used the same way that there may be some advantage to “conforming” the rules.

There was support for a change at the EOT TG meeting. However a change would have to be voted on by the TG's and there are no plans for a Summit in the foreseeable future. I don't expect a change in CAS for at least three years. We are looking at it but not for 2019 as the new rules are already being reviewed before release later this year.

There was support for a change at the EOT TG meeting. However a change would have to be voted on by the TG's and there are no plans for a Summit in the foreseeable future. I don't expect a change in CAS for at least three years. We are looking at it but not for 2019 as the new rules are already being reviewed before release later this year.

New rules for CAS or WB or both?  Sorry if not quite following.

I have no idea when the new CAS Handbooks will be released. I expect with all the "clarifications" the ROC have issued that a new set will be released in January but have no information to support that position.

The new WBAS Handbooks will be released in DEC.  We continue to remove unnecessary penalties and procedures. Even as a shooter please download and read the new March Directors Guide also as it will have more information of use to all.

This is one of my pet peeves. Here is my solution: Shooter comes to the line with a hammer back on a long gun. The TO instructs them to point the long gun safely down range and pull the trigger. If it goes bang, then the shooter left the load table with a live round under a cocked hammer. That's a MDQ just like a discharge at the loading table. if it goes click, shoot the stage, no call. With the M12 the TO needs to be more aware.

Frank, he may not have left the LT with a cocked hammer,!...we have seen instances where a shooter has walked up to the LT, or brought the rifle up on the table, brushed the hammer against leather or clothing, thus cocking the hammer.

I see it as an extremely rare occasion a shooter will have a round under the hammer in a rifle after loading it, unless he's had a problem and jacked out the rounds at the LT and mistakenly counted wrong, before reloading again.?

Boggus, I'm not saying the round will get there by brushing the hammer and cocking it.??

It can only get there if loaded and cycled

I said,....that if a shooter loads the rifle correctly, ie. it's empty at the LT but he brushes it against something en-route to the line it could cock, but it's still empty?

And as we are saying, if click no call, but bang it's a SDQ,..but I understand that yes, a live round at the loading table going off is a MDQ.

So we're probably now at a dilemma of two different situations with two different penalties, I get your drift. :) :-[