The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Accommodations for Physical Issues

Allie Mo

Hi Folks,

After reading another thread about a staging accommodation, I was wondering if any of you, who may be asked to rule on an accommodation (I can't remember ever being asked), have felt the request was to make the shooter reasonably competitive? Or, are all requested accommodations you've had based on the shooter's inability to shoot at all without it? Do you think the former appropriate or only the latter?

One instance I've seen was a very agile/spry fellow who "ran like the wind"  ;) with his brown athletic-looking shoes. I do not know if he asked for an accommodation. Just that some of us were surprised to see those shoes on him when we noticed them (at a Regional match) when he had a photo taken in a coffin.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS There was another instance where I know the shooter requested an accommodation and got it at WR. It was to extend the opening lever on his SG. The person who told me about this felt it was not necessary for him to shoot the gun. Rather, it increased his competitiveness.  :-\

Compensation to bring a shooter back to "normal" - Sure!

Advantage gained by the accommodation - Not on your life.

Athletic shoes - unless a severe medical condition - immediate Match DQ

But, picture taking time may or may not be what was worn during match time.  Pay attention to what was actually worn during the match.

Is there a quantitative way to measure how much is enough?  No, but a survey of a few other experienced match members should give you a good idea.

Good luck, GJ

....But, picture taking time may or may not be what was worn during match time.  Pay attention to what was actually worn during the match...

This was between stages at the match and he had them on for subsequent stages.

Last year, I got caught in a photo at awards in black athletic shoes. My feet were killing me. I have Morton's neuromas in both feet. I was so embarrassed. Besides being illegal, they were ugly. I have continued my search for comfortable, appropriate shoes and purchased so many shoes that didn't work out. I have found that buying shoes a size too large and putting a cushioned insole in them is helpful as are flats.

Regards,

Allie Mo

• 3 weeks later...

While were on the topic.  I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet.  One of the reasons i use the electric scooter the other is my back and leg.  They year my option for diabetic foot ware was slim from hanger prostectics. They were mainly velcro or sports shoes.  I've two pair of ear talkers but when my feet swell they hurt bad.  Since the doctor ordered the shoes and they have custom insoles would they be allowed to complete a match even though there not gonna speed me up because of my limited mobility.

In short can they be worn my other pair has Velcro.

The OFFICIAL position of the Committee for an OVERALL allowance has been and will continue to be an allowance will be given if the shooter has a written request from their doctor stating the reason and the requested accommodation. It has only happened once that I can remember. At a particular match it is up to the MD to make the decision. I feel personally that after watching many shooters over the years with prostetics and even in wheelchairs crawl up stairs to shoot like everyone else I am VERY reluctant to give accommodations for minor problems. In a situation like Blackies if he has a Dr. note I would have NO problem allowing him to wear shoes with velcro or whatever is needed. However a simple, "my feet hurt" won't cut it with me.

HJ, thank for clearing that up.  My feet hurt 24/7 no matter what I do but after a couple days of shooting the get to the point that I can not block it out, the neurostimulator isn't help and about nothing gonna help except for foot ware that will give to my swelling feet.  Next time I'm at a doctors I will get a note describing my condition and that's why the va bought the shoes to begin with.

I try not to as I like to dress up as you well know and have two pair of earth walkers boots made for me but they don't always work.

I'm walking with a cane for two reasons one is the left leg gives out from time to time and the other is stability since I can not feel where I'm stepping.