The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

1911 Trigger Control question

danawr

Hello,

For the second through last shot:

Should I be holding the trigger at the reset position while waiting on recoil recovery as well as moving gun to the next sight picture then pulling the trigger?

I.E. trigger pull, (reset, wait, sight picture), trigger pull...etc.

Or

Should I be holding the trigger at the pulled position while waiting on recoil recovery as well as moving gun to the next sight picture then do the reset & pull the trigger?

I.E. trigger pull, (wait, sight picture), reset, trigger pull...etc.

Thank you,

Deputy Dan

I intentionally don't pay attention to resetting trigger at all.    I don't worry about recoil recovery.  I sure don't do the method #2 you listed.

I concentrate (as a one-handed shooter) on tightly controlling recoil to minimize muzzle flip, then getting front sight moved over the next target and slapping trigger.  (OMG, he slaps the trigger?  ;)  )  Only on far targets (20 yards and smaller than a bread box) do I concentrate on a "smooth squeeze".

I don't "wait" for anything when I'm running the 1911.  (Well, I do wait for mag to fall out before getting next mag started in mag well.)  So, pull->move to next while recovering any flip->sight picture->pull.  Finger tip simply releases all pressure on trigger but contact is maintained (to minimize motion to pull again).

Works for me - after 40 years of practice.  ;D  May not work for you.

Good luck, GJ

Jerry Miculek slaps the crap out of the trigger and other top shooters work off of the reset. There is no correct way. The bigger issues is, does your trigger press push the pistol off target? Isolate the movement of the trigger finger. See your pistol fire and if you are shooting the same target again, see your sight come back on target and press the trigger again. Or, transitioning target to target, see the pistol fire and in recoil find next target and move your pistol to the target and fire when your sights are on target.

Don't over think this.